Adam Margolin is a member of the firm's Energy and Environmental Practice Group.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as Senior Corporation Counsel with the City of Chicago Department of Law. Mr. Margolin also served as Deputy Counsel to the Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives for five years. In each position, he worked on cutting-edge, complex energy-related matters, as well as on a variety of additional high-profile legislative items.
- Reviewing, revising, and negotiating retail electric and natural gas contracts on behalf of large industrial and commercial energy users.
- Representation of a municipal utility in the creation of its customer choice programs for electricity and natural gas.
- Advising clients on site clean-up operations, including a former Manufactured Gas Plant site.
- Representation of a public utility in regulatory proceedings seeking approval of a multi-billion dollar acquisition of another utility company.
- Representation of a publicly traded infrastructure company in its acquisition and financing of a district cooling system that serves downtown Chicago.
- Representation of Potentially Responsible Parties in CERCLA (Superfund) matters.
- Representation of an international gas supplier on matters related to an independent audit ordered by a state regulatory agency.
- Representation of an international not-for-profit conservation organization in a regulatory proceeding regarding the siting of an electric transmission line across the State of Illinois.
- Representation of retail electric and gas suppliers in a range of Illinois regulatory matters.
- Representation of a coalition of large industrial, commercial, and institutional energy users in rate design and energy efficiency matters.
- Data Privacy & Security
Education and Honors
- University of Illinois (J.D., 2005)
- Distinction of Honors, Legal Research and Writing
- American Bar Association Negotiation Competition
- Environmental Moot Court Competition
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.A., 2002)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- Illinois State Bar Association (General Assembly; Task Force on New Lawyers; Environmental Section Council; Energy, Utilities, Telecommunications, & Transportation Section Council)
- Young Professionals in Energy, Chicago Chapter (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2014–2016: Energy & Resources)