Andrew Barnes had a business law practice, with an emphasis on commercial financings, commercial purchase and sales transactions, and out-of-court restructurings and business bankruptcies.
- Mr. Barnes regularly represented borrowers, lenders, agents and others in complex financing transactions, including acquisition financings, working capital secured and unsecured credit facilities, multicurrency cross-border syndicated loans, asset securitization programs, interest rate protection agreements and other financial transactions.
- Mr. Barnes has extensive experience in business workouts and Chapter 11 reorganizations, as counsel to business debtors, secured creditors, unsecured creditors, bond trustees, lenders' syndicate agents and landlords throughout the United States.
- Mr. Barnes regularly advised business clients on a broad variety of commercial purchase and sales transactions. His experience includes extensive UCC transactions, equipment leases and similar business matters.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1975)
- Wisconsin Law Review (Member 1973-1975; Board of Editors, 1974-1975).
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1967)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1977
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1975
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section Committee on Legal Opinions, 1991-present; Member, Business Bankruptcy Committee, 1995-present)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Board of Directors, Bankruptcy Insolvency and Creditors Rights Section, 1995-1998; Member, Standard Forms of Legal Opinion Committee, 1992-present; Member, Business Law Section Committee to Review Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, 1999-2001; Member, Rules of Negotiation Forum, 1999-2000)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member, Bankruptcy Section Local Rules Committee, 1991-1992)
- United States Law Firm Group (Member, Creditors Rights Committee, 1993-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1989-present: Banking Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law)
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2010 Milwaukee Banking Lawyer of the Year
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2010 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights)
- Named on multiple occasions as one of Milwaukee's "Best Lawyers" by Milwaukee Magazine
- "Preference Claims and Reclamations," National Association of Credit Managers, Wisconsin chapter
- "Year 2000 Compliance: A Legal Perspective for Closely-Held Businesses," Quarles & Brady program
- "Discharge and Concurrent Jurisdiction Issues," Wisconsin Supreme Court Civil Law seminar
- "Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994," Wisconsin League of Financial Institutions Annual Legal Clinic program
- "Payment of Rent, Insurance and Other Charges Due Under Unexpired Leases of Non-Residential Real Property Prior to Assumption or Rejection," Law Education Institute and Bureau of National Affairs program
- "What ERISA Plan Sponsors, Administrators and Participants Should Know About Bankruptcy," Milwaukee Bar Association program
- "Simplification of Contracts: Standard Terms and Conditions," American Corporate Counsel Association program
- "Evolution of a Chapter 11 Case," Quarles & Brady program
- "New Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedures and New Local Rules of Bankruptcy Procedures," Lorman Business Center program
- "Commercial Contracts, with James J. White, Problems and Questions," Professional Education Systems program
- "Representing Parties in Interest in Chapter 11: A Case Study," Professional Education Systems program
- "Recent Trends in Lender Liability," Milwaukee Bar Association program
- "Creditor Rights and Protection of Security Interests in Bankruptcy," National Business Institute program