Angela Marie Hubbell is a pension and compensation attorney in Chicago. Her practice involves counseling and representing employers on a broad range of employee benefits issues, including multiemployer pension plan issues, retirement plans, executive compensation, ERISA compliance, and benefits-related tax issues.
Ms. Hubbell has extensive experience advising on retirement plan corrections, IRS and DOL audits of retirement plans, the labor and benefits aspects of mergers and acquisitions, benefits issues in collective bargaining, and employee communications surrounding benefits plans. She also frequently counsels on and designs incentive and equity compensation plans, retirement plans, and severance and change-in-control programs.
A former Seabee, Ms. Hubbell taught sexual harassment prevention training programs in the Navy and is a popular public speaker. She has published several articles related to employee benefits and employment law issues and is a Contributing Author to the BNA publication Employee Benefits Law.
In addition, Ms. Hubbell co-chairs the firm's ERISA Litigation Practice and has significant benefits and employment litigation experience in both trial and appellate courts. She previously served as judicial law clerk to Judge David W. McKeague, United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan; Judge Pierce Lively, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit; and Judge Stephen J. Swift, United States Tax Court.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M., with honors, 2003)
- Ohio Northern University (J.D., with distinction, 1995)
- Ohio Northern University Law Review (Contributing Editor)
- Michigan State University (B.S., 1992)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section, Employee Benefits Withdrawal Liability Subcommittee, Co-Chair 2008–2013)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Leading Lawyers Network (Member)
- State Bar of Michigan (Member)