300 N. LaSalle Street
Angela Marie Hubbell is an attorney in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group. Her practice involves counseling and representing employers on a broad range of employee benefits issues, including multiemployer pension plan issues, executive compensation, ERISA compliance and benefits-related tax issues. Recently, she led the successful appellate defense of a dispute over withdrawal liability amounts, when the court affirmed an arbitrator's decision that multi-employer pension plan trustees over-assessed an employer's withdrawal liability by more than $1 million (Chicago Truck Drivers Helpers and Warehouse Workers Union (Independent) Pension Fund v. CPC Logistics Inc.
, 7th Cir., No. 11-3034, 8/20/12).
Ms. Hubbell has extensive experience with employee benefit plan design and administration. She frequently counsels on and designs incentive and equity compensation plans, retirement plans, and severance and change-in-control programs. She also advises on plan corrections, IRS and DOL audits of retirement plans, the labor and benefits aspects of mergers and acquisitions, benefits issues in collective bargaining, and employee communications surrounding benefits plans.
A former Seabee, Ms. Hubbell taught sexual harassment prevention training programs in the Navy and is a popular public speaker. She has published several articles related to employee benefits and employment law issues and is a Contributing Author to the BNA publication Employee Benefits Law
In addition, Ms. Hubbell co-chairs the Firm’s ERISA litigation practice and has significant benefits and employment litigation experience in both trial and appellate courts. She previously served as judicial law clerk to Judge David W. McKeague, United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, Judge Pierce Lively, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and Judge Stephen J. Swift, United States Tax Court.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M., with honors, 2003)
- Ohio Northern University (J.D., with distinction, 1995)
Ohio Northern University Law Review (Contributing Editor).
- Michigan State University (B.S., 1992)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section, Employee Benefits Withdrawal Liability Subcommittee, Co-Chair 2008-2013).
- Chicago Bar Association (Member).
- Chicago Compensation Association (Member).
- Leading Lawyers Network (Member).
- State Bar of Michigan (Member).
- “Redefining the 'Spouse,'” Human Resource Executive, January 2, 2014.
- “Labor: What to do when you get a letter from a union health or pension plan payroll auditor,” InsideCounsel, April 8, 2013.
- “The 4 “W”s of Withdrawal Liability,” InsideCounsel, March 2013.
- “Labor: 4 broad implications the ACA could have for collective bargaining,” InsideCounsel, February 11, 2013.
- “Actuary’s Best Estimate Not Used When Calculating Withdrawal Liability,” Pension & Benefits Daily, August 22, 2012.
- “Multi-Employer Plan Withdrawal Liability,” American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law Employee Benefits Committee Midwinter Meeting, Coronado, CA, February 15-18, 2012.
- “Current Withdrawal Liability Litigation Issues,” ABA Labor & Employment Law, Employee Benefits Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, Savannah, GA, February 2011.
- “Funding Issues for Single and Multi-employer Pension Plans,” ABA Labor & Employment Law, Employee Benefits Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, San Antonio, TX, February 2010.
- “Withdrawal Liability Update,” ABA Labor & Employment Law, Employee Benefits Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, Charleston, SC, February 2009.
- “Cross Generational Dynamics and the Role of Historical Events on Laws Impacting Employee Benefits,” University of Illinois’ CHRM Roundtable, September 25, 2008.
- “Benefits Issues in Uncertain Economic Times,” University of Illinois’ CHRM Roundtable, April 3, 2008.
- “Benefits Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions,” Breakfast Briefing Seminar, May 2005.
- “FMLA Evolution,” Emerging Issues in Labor and Employment Law, a program jointly sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law and School of Labor and Industrial Relations, June 8, 2005.
- “Untangling Health Benefit Alternatives: Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Reimbursement Arrangements, and the New Health Savings Accounts,” Breakfast Briefing Seminar, November 2004.
- “Employee Benefits Update,” Council on Education in Management Seminar, Chicago, IL, July and October 2004.
- “Tax Code Treatment of Health Care,” Northwestern University School of Law, November 2002.
- “2001: A Benefits Odyssey,” Labor & Employment Law Symposium, Atlanta, GA, April 2001.
- “Love the Internal Complaint Procedure? Or Lusting for Liability?” Nashville Bar Association CLE, Moderator, June 27, 2000.
- “FMLA Leave Administration,” Council on Education in Management FLSA Workshop, Nashville, TN, September 1998.
- Vaughn v. Watkins Motor Lines, Inc., 291 F.3d 900 (6th Cir. 2002).
- Miller v. Hygrade Food Prods. Corp., 198 F.R.D. 638 (E.D. Pa. 2001).
- Miller v. Hygrade Food Products Corp. and Sara Lee Corp., 89 F. Supp.2d 643 (E.D. Pa. 2000).
- United States Navy Reserve, 1989 to 1997.