Anthony Tomaselli is a commercial litigator with substantial experience in all types of intellectual property disputes including patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, licensing and restrictive covenant disputes. He has represented clients in state and federal courts from Delaware to California. His experience includes:
- Representation of biotechnology company in a patent infringement lawsuit. Obtained jury verdict of invalidity of patent asserted against client.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in a patent dispute. Obtained judgment of invalidity of patent asserted against client and no liability under patent license at issue.
- Representation of plastic injection mold manufacturer in patent infringement case. Obtained judgment of infringement for client against one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of appliances.
- Representation of a bicycle designer and distributor in a patent infringement suit. Obtained judgment of non-infringement for client.
- Representation of an accused patent infringer in a declaratory judgment action asserting invalidity of the software patent at issue. Obtained settlement of matter without payment of any compensation based on prior art found prior to the filing of declaratory judgment action.
- Representation of plastic injection mold manufacturer in a patent infringement suit. Obtained summary judgment for client dismissing all patent claims against client.
- Representation of various companies threatened with patent infringement by and/or sued by non-practicing entities (“patent trolls”).
- Representation of technology transfer institution in patent license matter. Obtained jury verdict for client for unpaid royalties and a declaration of ownership of technology at issue.
- Representation of a software company in a lawsuit invoking a most favored nation provision in a patent license agreement. Obtained a judgment invoking provision in favor of client and awarding client attorneys’ fees.
- Representation of manufacturer of electric turbine silencer equipment in trade secret case. Obtained consent judgment in favor of manufacturer barring use by other party of trade secret information and materials owned by manufacturer.
- Representation of a software company in a trade secret misappropriation suit. Obtained judgment dismissing trade secret claims against client.
- Representation of securities brokerage firm. Obtained injunctive relief prohibiting a broker from using brokerage firm’s confidential information to compete against brokerage firm.
- Representation of an insurance company in trademark infringement action. Obtained permanent injunction prohibiting defendant from using mark at issue, ownership of domain name previously used by defendant and attorneys’ fees.
- Representation of companies in trademark opposition matters.
- Representation of builders, architects and designers in copyright infringement matters.
- Representation of State of Wisconsin as a Special Prosecutor.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1988)
Wisconsin Law Review (Note and Comment Editor).
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., with honors and distinction, 1984)
Phi Kappa Phi.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Colorado
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
(2013: Litigation - Intellectual Property).
Peer Review Rated.
Selected for inclusion in the 2009-2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
lists (Intellectual Property Litigation).
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member).
- American Bar Association Intellectual Property Litigation Committee (Member).
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member).
- Justice Louis J. Ceci, Wisconsin Supreme Court (Law Clerk, 1988-1989).
- Safe Harbor of Dane County, Inc. (Secretary, Chair-elect, Chair; Director, 2001–2008).
- State Bar of Wisconsin, (Member, Litigation and Intellectual Property Sections).
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Member).
- Western District Bar Association for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin (Member).