One Renaissance Square
Two North Central Avenue
Brad Vynalek is a partner in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group. In his 14-year career with the firm, where he has practiced since he was a summer associate, Brad has worked with financial service, banking, high tech, internet, software, manufacturing, e-commerce, health care, start-up, and tech transfer clients. He focuses on efficient dispute resolution and project management. Brad works very closely with law departments to create and manage budgets. In addition, Brad serves as a counselor and advisor on strategy, exposure, and enterprise opportunity. His clients range from local start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
Within the firm, Brad holds national roles ranging from client service team leader to national strategy partner. Since joining the firm, he has served in a variety of roles, including: co-chair of the Phoenix Summer Associate Committee and Associate Policy Committee, and co-chair of the Phoenix Commercial Litigation Team. Brad has recruited law school students and lateral attorneys for the firm nationally and led mentoring and strategic growth initiatives. Meanwhile, he also has provided pro bono services for the Volunteer Lawyers Program, Wills for Heroes, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Outside the firm, Brad holds leadership roles in several professional and community activities. He was most recently elected chair of the board of directors of Make-A-Wish of Arizona, the founding chapter of the nonprofit dedicated to granting wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses. He also serves as president of the University of Arizona Law College Association. Within the profession, Brad routinely advocates on behalf of the organized bar before Congress, on issues ranging from pro bono funding to the protection of the attorney-client privilege. He was recently appointed to serve as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s 2014 Section of Litigation Annual Conference.
Before law school, Brad was a Public Service Honors Scholar at Stanford University. He focused his studies on the U.S. Senate confirmation process for Supreme Court Justices and authored a thesis analyzing the process and the justice’s commitment to judicial service. After Stanford, Brad worked as a tennis instructor and waiter to fund travel in the U.S. and New Zealand, volunteer for the Olympic Committee in Atlanta, and work at Stanford Sierra Camp at Fallen Leaf Lake in Lake Tahoe, CA.
Brad returned to his hometown of Tucson for law school at the University of Arizona. Highlights from law school include: introducing the ‘97 U of A National Men’s Basketball Championship Team to Justice Sandra Day O’Connor at the U.S. Supreme Court, providing student commencement remarks at graduation, studying political democracy in Prague, and working on Capitol Hill in the personal staff office of Senator John McCain.
Brad has provided keynote remarks in a variety of settings and both sat on and moderated national panels. He is a graduate of Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy, Valley Leadership, and the Center for Creative Leadership Lawyer-Leader Program. In collaboration with the Arizona Commerce Authority and the Phoenix Business Journal, Brad created a business leadership summit series bringing together top Arizona CEOs to share lessons on succession planning, overcoming challenges, and innovation. Experience:
Brad’s array of client experience includes:
- Representing the financial services and banking industry in enforcement actions against commercial borrowers and guarantors, fair market value hearings, lender liability defense, receiverships, replevin actions, consumer claims, TROs, and trustee’s sales.
- Representing local and national clients in complex contract and business disputes in state and federal court.
- Defending and prosecuting claims in AAA arbitration proceedings related to software license agreements.
- Assisting clients with effective alternatives to litigation, including early resolutions, mediations, government relations, and media strategies.
- Successful defense of company in connection with a state attorney general investigation and news undercover investigation as well as creation and execution of its media relations strategy.
- Defense of patent troll litigation and project management of multi-office patent prosecution teams.
- Appellate, rules making, amicus, and special action proceedings.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., 1999)
- Georgetown University (Prague Institute) (Diploma, 1997)
- Stanford University (B.A., with honors, 1995)
Public Service Honors Scholar.
U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1999
- The University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law 2014 Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2014: Commercial Litigation).
- American Bar Foundation Fellows.
- 2012-2014 Southwest Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation).
- Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy Fellow, 2011.
- State Bar of Arizona Recognition Honor for Service to the American Bar Association House of Delegates, 2011.
- Center for Creative Leadership Lawyer-Leader Graduate, 2010.
- The American Jewish Committee’s Judge Learned Hand Emerging Leadership Award, 2009.
- Arizona Governor Recognition for Service and Leadership in Advancing Arizona’s Economy, 2009.
- Award of Merit from the National Center for Exploited and Missing Children for Commitment to Protection of Children, 2007.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Arizona’s Finest Couples Award, 2007.
- Phoenix Business Journal’s “Forty Under 40” Award, 2006.
- Phoenix Valley Leadership, Class 26 (2006).
- Young Alumni of the Year Award, University of Arizona James E. Rogers School of Law, 2005.
- 2003 Biz AZ Magazine Up and Comer Attorney.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Make-A-Wish of Arizona, Chair (2013 to present): Service on board since 2008 and have held committee and executive committee positions.
- University of Arizona Law College Association, President (2012 to present): Served on board and led committees since 2000.
- American Bar Association:
- American Bar Association 2014 Section of Litigation annual co-chair.
- Grassroots advocacy team and ABA Day in Washington volunteer (2000 to present).
- Business Torts and Corporate Counsel Committees (2009 to present).
- State Bar-appointed delegate to the House of Delegates (2005 to 2011).
- Arizona Commerce and Economic Development Commission, commissioner (2008 to 2009).
- Appointed by two Arizona governors and confirmed by Arizona Senate to serve on statewide economic development entity.
- Maricopa County Bar Association Minority Intern Writing Program, firm liaison (2009 to 2010).
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Arizona’s Finest Couples chair.
- Oscar Night America Arthritis Foundation chair, 2005 and 2006.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member).
- Featured, “Trendsetters,” So Scottsdale!, June 2014.
- Presenter, “Attorneys as Civic Leaders,” University of Arizona Law School, April 25, 2014.
- Featured, “Need a Lawyer? Advice for CEOs and business leaders to follow before engaging counsel,” Arizona Business Magazine, November/December 2013.
- Featured, “Lawyer rides wave to help clients and kids,” Phoenix Business Journal, September 20, 2013.
- Featured, “Local Attorney Making Children’s Dreams Come True,” AZ Health and Living Magazine, August 2013.
- Panel Participant, “Cloud: Technology to Grow your Business,” Phoenix Business Journal, August 1, 2013.
- Panel Moderator, “Privacy and Cyber Security Forum,” Arizona Bankers Association Convention, June 4, 2013.
- Featured, “Core Competency,” The Record Reporter, February 22, 2013.
- Panel Moderator, “General Counsel Give the Real Deal: Performance Tips and Life in the Value Challenge Legal World,” ABA Annual Meeting, August 2, 2012.
- Presenter, “Core Competencies in the Workplace: How to Hit the Ground Running With Your First Summer Legal Position,” University of Arizona Seminar, January 23, 2012.
- Panel Moderator, “General Counsels Give the Real Deal,” Maricopa County Bar Association, June 22, 2011.
- Panelist, “Building the Brand That is You,” PhoeNEXT: Engaging the Talent of Today, Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce event, September 29, 2010.
- Presentation, “Driving Your Company’s Bottom Line While Keeping an Eye on Ethics,” Maricopa County Bar Association - Corporate Counsel Division, September 24, 2010.