Offers, Compensation & Benefits
For 2017, first- and second-year summer associates will be paid $2,875 a week in Chicago and Washington, D.C., $2,500 a week in Indianapolis, Madison, Milwaukee, Naples, Phoenix, Tampa and Tucson. Of course, that's just money. You will also be compensated by exposure to our sparkling personalities and very funny jokes.
When we offer you a summer associate position, our goal is for you to have a successful summer and then join us as an associate after you graduate from law school. To that end, Q&B will provide you with the opportunities, tools and feedback you need to efficiently research, effectively analyze and clearly communicate your conclusions. In evaluating your performance, the Summer Committee will consider evaluations from your assigning attorneys and your reader, as well as your ability to tackle different tasks, problem solve, relate to clients and co-workers and be an effective team player.
At the end of the summer, the Summer Committee for each office makes recommendations about job offers to that office's Recruiting Committee. The Recruiting Committee will consider an offer of employment as a full-time associate (or, for first-years, an offer to return the following summer) as promptly as possible after all summer associates have completed the program.
Starting salaries (not including performance bonuses) for entry-level associates joining us in Chicago and Washington, D.C. will be $150,000, $130,000 in Arizona, Florida, Indiana and Wisconsin. This salary is coupled with a generous benefits program. Law students who accept an offer to join us upon graduation also receive a $2,500 signing bonus, as well as a $2,500 graduation bonus. Other benefits include:
- Availability of a performance bonus.
- A voluntary 401(k) plan.
- Generous health, life and disability coverage.
- Domestic Partner Coverage - same sex and opposite sex. Gross-up for same sex couples.
- A health club and healthy living reimbursement program.
- Three weeks paid vacation plus nine paid holidays per year. Paid vacation can be used to extend paid personal medical leave or paid parental family leave.
- Twelve weeks paid personal medical leave, which may be used as maternity leave. Additional extended unpaid leave of up to six months.
- Six weeks paid parental family leave for new fathers or for either parent in the event of an adoption. Additional extended unpaid parental leave of up to six months.
- Back-up care for children, adults or the elderly when normal care system is not available.
- The Real Estate Group provides a discount on legal fees relating to the purchase or sale of the attorney's principle residence.
- The Trusts and Estates Group provides a discount on legal fees relating to estate planning services provided to the attorney and spouse/partner.
- All reasonable moving expenses for household furniture and goods (excluding vehicles) for new associates. All moving arrangements are made for you, so you can focus on other personal matters.
- All expenses associated with the state bar exam review course, bar exam fee, CD course and laptop fee. The firm will reimburse for the hotel room and tax for a two night stay, all meal and travel expenses for the bar exam.
- ABA, state and local bar membership fees.
- Registration fees and expenses for CLE programs paid by firm when approved by Practice Group Chair or their designee.
- Associate referral bonus for referring an attorney candidate for an available lateral position, and that candidate is hired.
- In-house professional training programs to assure your continued career development.