Carl Schwartz practices primarily in the area of intellectual property, with particular emphasis on patent clearance; chemical, biological, mechanical, and design patent prosecution; trademark clearance and prosecution; and advertising law. He also has extensive experience in associated matters such as the handling of a wide range of intellectual property rights in mergers and acquisitions, the licensing of intellectual property rights, and copyright matters. Mr. Schwartz's recent experience includes
- Prosecution through allowance of the human embryonic stem cell patent of the University of Wisconsin. This technology, and the associated stem cell patent portfolio, led to President Bush's revising the federal policy regarding government funding for embryonic stem cell work.
- Representation of the author of the Harry Potter book series in U.S. trademark prosecution matters. The acquisition and protection of intellectual property rights was an important factor in the commercialization of the Harry Potter literary series, in the form of movies and merchandise.
- Negotiation and drafting of a multiyear sponsorship agreement pursuant to which naming rights to Milwaukee's baseball stadium (and associated rights) were granted to a commercial sponsor. This agreement was central to the financing of the construction of the new stadium.
Education and Honors
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1978)
- Washington University (A.B., summa cum laude, 1975)
- Major: Chemistry
- Washington University (B.S., 1975)
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- highest honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Member and Past President)
- Has lectured at seminars hosted by the University of Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, and Lakeshore Technical College
- Technical background includes experience in organic chemistry and chemical engineering, with industry experience in food and feed testing
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member, Intellectual Property Section; Past Section President)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1991–present: Biotechnology Law; Copyright Law; Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Patent; Patent Law; Trademark Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated