Cathleen Yu practices in the areas of business law and tax-exempt organizations. As Co-Chair of the firm's Investor Services Team, she represents institutional investors including tax-exempt organizations such as foundations, universities, pension funds, and hospitals in connection with their investment activities, including their investments in private equity funds, hedge funds, venture capital funds, leveraged buyouts, mezzanine debt, and other alternative investment vehicles. Her practice also includes the representation of clients in mergers and acquisitions, securities and other business transactions in industries including health care, restaurant, aviation, education, financial services, manufacturing, and biotechnology. Her experience includes:
- Advising foundation and public charity investors on private equity and hedge fund investments and negotiating the terms of fund documents and side letters.
- Representing institutional investors in their secondary sales and acquisitions of fund interests.
- Advising institutional investors in connection with negotiating investment management agreements.
- Representing buyers and sellers in public and private mergers and acquisitions transactions, including stock and asset transactions.
- Representing issuers in connection with Securities and Exchange Commission periodic reporting and regulatory compliance.
- Advising publicly and privately held businesses in general corporate matters, including business planning, formation of business entities, corporate governance and commercial contracts.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Research Institutions
- Higher Education
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Clarence Darrow Scholar (full-tuition merit scholarship); Michigan Law Review (Contributing Editor)
- The Honorable Susan R. Bolton, U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona (Judicial Extern)
- Legal Practice Program (Teaching Assistant), Civil Procedure Tutor
- Antitrust Bureau, Office of the Illinois Attorney General (Legal Extern)
- University of Chicago (B.A., with honors, 2004)
- Major: Economics
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- Children's Action Alliance (Board of Directors)
- Executive Council of the State Bar of Arizona Business Law Section (Member)
- Arizona Educational Foundation (Board of Trustees, 2007–2015)
- Diversity Legal Writing Program, Maricopa County Bar Association and the State Bar of Arizona Committee on Minorities and Women in the Law (Quarles & Brady Co-Chair 2013–2014)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program of Community Legal Services and the Maricopa County Bar Association (Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney)
- Wills for Heroes (Volunteer Pro Bono Attorney)
- Arizona Animal Welfare League (Volunteer)
- Capitol Schools Project (Volunteer)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section - Institutional Investor Committee)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Arizona Asian American Bar Association (Member)