Charles W. Jirauch is a retired partner with Quarles & Brady. He practiced for more than 35 years in the areas of intellectual property and technology law litigation and strategic planning, and in the areas of complex litigation, government relations and contracts, and antitrust for technology companies. He represented technology companies in litigation matters involving, for example, computer programs and networks, automotive parts including electronics and air bags, medical instruments and services, pharmaceuticals, sporting equipment, semiconductor devices, circuits and manufacturing and testing processes and equipment, and industrial and HVAC intelligent control systems. He was a member of Quarles & Brady's Stimulus Legislation Task Force responsible for and knowledgeable about federal moneys for science and technology companies and programs. Mr. Jirauch's experiences included:
- Multiple representations of international semiconductor research, development and manufacturing company in litigation and arbitration of cases involving patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, sale and purchase of businesses, breach of warranties and trade mark infringement, including a defense of a breach of a cross-licensing claim in excess of $20,000,000 and the recovery of client's attorneys' fees and costs in excess of $3,300,000.
- Defense through jury trial of an international manufacturer of smart industrial control systems against a claim of patent infringement brought by a Fortune 50 company.
- Advising technology clients on federal 2009 Stimulus Legislation.
- Representation of pharmaceutical companies in multiple lawsuits involving patent infringement, antitrust and breach of warranty claims.
- Provided expert opinions on questions of patent validity and infringement regarding semiconductor circuits, devices and manufacturing processes and cell phones for clients charged with patent infringement.
- Representation of semiconductor manufacturer in conducting technology due diligence reviews of a potential merger partner and of a semiconductor manufacturing business.
- Representation of Fortune 100 auto parts manufacturer through a five-week jury trial in prosecution of claims for breach of a non-competition covenant and technology licensing agreement and through three-week arbitration in assertion of breach of warranty claims regarding manufacturing plant where combined claims exceeded $450,000,000.
- Defense of patent infringement case involving semiconductor testing equipment.
- Representation of a nutracentical company in the defense of a patent infringement claim purportedly covering a product with industry-wide annual sales in excess of $150,000,000.
- Multiple representations of plaintiffs and defendants in copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation actions involving computer programs.
- Defense of a national manufacturing and wholesale company of foot products and clothing in a declaratory judgment action relating to rights to its national brand, including representation in multiple trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Office Trial and Appeal Board.
- Defense of a national consumer finance company against federal service mark infringement action.
- Representation of a national snack foods company in the intellectual property and licensing facets of its business.
- Representation of research and development leader and manufacturer of medical staining instrumentation in the prosecution of two patent infringement cases.
- Representation of German audio systems company in asserting trademark rights against U.S. and Canadian competitor.
- Representation of an internet access provider and software developer in multiple intellectual property and litigation matters.
- Representation of a new entry manufacturer of residential and commercial window coverings in a federal antitrust action against the largest company in the industry.
Education and Honors
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1970)
- Washington University (B.S., 1966)
- Degree: Electrical Engineering. Tau Beta Pi. Eta Kappa Nu.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Colorado, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1975
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1970
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member, Trade Secrets Committee)
- American Bar Association (Member, Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections)
- Arizona Bar Association (Member, Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections)
- International Bar Association (Fellow, 2008-present; Corporate Counsel, Intellectual Property and Entertainment, Technology and e-Commerce Law Sections)
- California Bar Association (Member, Intellectual Property Section)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (Member, Patent Infringement and Corporate Counsel Committees)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member, Technology Law Section; Board of Directors, 2000-2003; President, 2002-2003)
- Arizona Technology Council (Member, Board of Directors, 1999-2008; Emeritus member 2008-present; Chair, Work Force Development Committee, 1999-2006)
- Arizona Technology Council Foundation (Board of Directors, 2008-present; President, 2008-present)
- American Electronics Association (Executive Committee, Arizona Chapter, 1998-2003)
- Arizona State University (Advisory Council to Dean of Ira E. Fulton School of Engineering, 1998-present)
- Arizona Business and Education Coalition (Board of Directors, 2002-present; General Counsel, 2002-2006; Vice President 2004-2006; President 2006-2008)
- Arizona Chamber of Commerce (Member, Technology and Education Committees, 2001-present)
- United Bank Holding Co. (2008-present)
- Ventana Bank of Arizona (2008)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2005-present: Intellectual Property Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Marquis Who's Who in the World, in America, in the South and Southwest, and in American Law
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007-2010 Southwest Super Lawyers® lists (Intellectual Property Litigation)