Charlie Herf is a retired partner with Quarles & Brady. His practice experience included labor and employment, securities and complex commercial litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and education law. Mr. Herf represented clients in the following areas:
- Representation of employers in wrongful discharge, discrimination and employment related litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
- Management representation in organizing campaigns, unfair labor practice charges, wage and hour disputes and in arbitrations and mediations.
- Advising public employers on constitutional matters, personnel issues, student rights, conflict of interest, open meeting law and public records issues.
- Securities litigation and arbitration including private and public ADR to minimize expense and obtain expedited results.
- Successful constitutional challenge to unauthorized municipal ordinance imposing development fees resulting in multi-million dollar refund to homebuilders.
- CEO and executive severance agreements as litigation and discrimination avoidance strategy.
- Successful defense of federal whistleblower wrongful discharge litigation for international manufacturer - obtaining $48,000 award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of employer.
- Enforcement and defense of non-compete, non-solicitation (employee and customer), trade secret and other IP rights of employers in State and Federal Courts.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1968)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., 1965)
- Appointed to a three-year term as a Lawyer Representative to the U.S. Ninth Judicial Circuit.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2005-present: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Education Law, Labor and Employment Law).
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2004-present: Labor & Employment).
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007-2009 Southwest Super Lawyers® lists (Employment & Labor).
Professional and Civic Activities
Member: State Bar of Arizona; Maricopa County Bar Association; American Bar Association (Labor Relations and Litigation Section); State Bar of California; State Bar of Wisconsin; Illinois State Bar. Extensive experience as mediator and arbitrator in all aspects of alternative dispute resolution processes. Approved Industry Arbitrator: National Association of Securities Dealers, 1989- ; New York Stock Exchange, 1989- ; American Arbitration Association, 1992- ; Judge Pro Tem, Arizona Superior Court, 1990- ; Arbitrator, United States District Court for Arizona, 1994-.
Representation and counseling of employers in wrongful discharge litigation, sexual harassment, discrimination charges, whistleblowing, union organizing campaigns, arbitrations, disability and defamation suits. Counseling and representation has included jury and non-jury trials, arbitrations and mediations in the private and public sectors. Litigation experience encompasses employment securities, corporate and constitutional disputes. Client representation has included state and federal trial courts in Arizona, California, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court.
Coaching Youth Sports, 1980-1992; Board of Directors, Sereno Soccer Club, 1983-1988; Arizona Chamber of Commerce (Member, Employment Section); Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce; Executive Board, Chaparral High School Association of Parents, Teachers and Students; Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC); Paradise Valley Country Club Tennis Committee.