Chris Burden is an experienced commercial litigator, specializing in franchise and distributor disputes and representing financial institutions. He has tried more than 30 cases in state and federal courts and in arbitration and has authored briefs and presented oral arguments in matters before the Florida Supreme Court, Florida District Courts of Appeal, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Mr. Burden regularly handles matters involving business torts, consumer protection claims, commercial foreclosure and receivership matters, intellectual property disputes, claims of unfair trade practices, class actions, and employment law. His recent work includes
- Representation of a famous restaurateur in breach of contract and constructive eviction matters against an international mall operator, resulting in multi-million-dollar jury verdicts in favor of his client.
- Successful defense in arbitration of wrongful termination claims by former franchisees against a child identification business franchisor.
- Prosecution of a $5 million theft claim against a former franchisee, its owners, and related entities receiving stolen property and its proceeds.
- Defense of a lawsuit brought by a retail alcoholic beverage franchisee against a franchisor and its principals for fraud and consumer protection statute violations.
- Termination of a casualty loss services franchisee and related enforcement of the franchisor's trademark and restrictive covenant rights.
- Supervision of hundreds of lawsuits arising from borrower defaults, REO property ownership, and consumer protection claims arising from residential and commercial foreclosure proceedings.
- Franchise & Distribution
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Creditor's Rights
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 1995)
- with highest honors
- Florida State Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Florida State University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1992)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar (Member, Antitrust, Franchise and Trade Regulation Committee)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Forum on Franchising)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–present: Franchise Law)