Christopher Combest practices in the firm's Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Creditor's Rights Group. His practice encompasses work for creditors and debtors in a variety of insolvency situations, on secured transactions under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, and on distressed acquisitions. He represents suppliers, equipment lessors, debtors, trustees, receivers, secured and unsecured lenders, commercial landlords, equity holders, defendants in bankruptcy avoidance actions, and purchasers of assets out of bankruptcy estates. His experience includes
- Representation of chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustee in consolidated cases of Giordano's Enterprises, Inc., and of chapter 11 debtors Renew Energy, LLC; Help at Home, Inc.; and Statewide Healthcare Services, Inc.
- Representation of federal equity receiver for insolvent investment firm Wealth Management LLC and its six investment funds.
- Representation of suppliers, customers, and lessors in bankruptcies of suppliers in automotive, electronics, and manufacturing industries and with respect to sales of bankruptcy claims.
- Representation of one of the nation's largest food distributors in bankruptcies of franchised restaurants, including experience with the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act and with the treatment of supply contracts in bankruptcy.
- Representation of commercial landlords in numerous tenant bankruptcies.
- Representation of committee of members of a chapter 11 debtor generation-and-transmission power cooperative in Louisiana.
- Representation of equity in chapter 11 case of debtor aquarium located in San Francisco; drafted plan and disclosure statement and consummated transfer of assets out of estate.
- Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- Yale Law School (J.D., 1994)
- University of Washington (M.F.A., 1985)
- Yale College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1982)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1995
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member and co-chair of Executory Contracts Subcommittee of ABA's Business Bankruptcy Committee)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- The National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (Speaker)
- Turnaround Management Association (Speaker)
- Commercial Mortgage Attorneys' Association (Speaker)
- The Business Bankruptcy, Uniform Commercial Code, and Commercial Financial Services Committees of the American Bar Association (Speaker)
- The National Business Institute (Speaker)
- The Diocesan Fiscal Management Conference (Speaker)
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency, LLM Program in Real Estate Law, John Marshall Law School (Adjunct professor, guest lecturer)
- Law section, review course for certification exam of the Association of Certified Turnaround Professionals (Former instructor)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated