Chris Skey specializes in advising and representing a diverse group of clients in energy and other business-related regulatory, litigation, transactional and government relations matters.
Mr. Skey has over a decade of experience handling complex energy matters on behalf of competitive energy suppliers (electric and natural gas), large energy users, energy cooperatives, municipalities, trade groups, developers, lenders, building and facility owners, “green” energy suppliers and other energy market participants. He regularly appears before courts and regulatory agencies on a wide variety of energy related licensing, rulemaking, investigatory, and other proceedings. He also counsels energy market participants and energy project developers on strategic planning relating to the regulatory and legal developments affecting their interests and projects.
In addition to energy-related matters, Mr. Skey has broad experience with environmental, natural resource, constitutional and commercial matters, including construction, antitrust, securities, insurance, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, employment, fraud, product liability, copyright, contracts and other business-related matters. In addition to his representation of energy-related clients of all sorts, Mr. Skey has represented lenders, accounting firms, financial services firms, pharmaceutical firms, food and beverage firms, engineering firms, industrial manufacturers, construction firms, real estate developers, consultants, marketing firms, insurance companies, small businesses, nonprofit organizations and individuals.
In addition to his private practice experience, Mr. Skey served as a Judicial Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday, Middle District of Florida, from 2000 to 2003.
Mr. Skey maintains an active pro bono practice. He serves on the Board of Directors and as Vice President for Development of Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, the oldest pro bono legal services organization in Chicago. He has handled a number of energy-related matters on a pro bono basis, including alternative and traditional energy projects on behalf of non-profit organizations. Other pro bono work includes: federal court class action litigation on foster care issues; appellate, trial (civil and criminal) and administrative work for individuals and non-profits institutions; and juvenile defense trial work and policy research. Mr. Skey regularly handles cases for indigent individual legal clinic clients, most recently representing a woman who was defrauded out of money during her divorce proceeding; a tenant in a fire-damaged building who was initially denied the return of her security deposit; and a small businessman involved in a restaurant repair dispute.
Mr. Skey actively supports the firm's Quarles Cares program as a volunteer in the Chicago office’s affiliation with The Night Ministry, a non-denominational, not-for-profit organization through which volunteers prepare and serve food to homeless and low income Chicago residents.
Recently reported cases include:
- Re: Chicago Clean Energy, Inc., 2011 WL 681760 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2012).
- Re: Ameren Illinois Company 2011 Rate Case, 2012 WL 681750 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2012).
- Re: North Shore Gas Company/Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company 2011 Rate Case, 2012 WL 681749 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2012).
- Re: Chicago Clean Energy, Inc., 2011 WL 7142048 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2011)
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2010 Rate Case, 2011 WL 2521858 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2011).
- Illinois Commerce Commission v. Commonwealth Edison Company, 2010 WL 1868316 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2010).
- Re: Northern Illinois Gas Company dba Nicor 2009 Rate Case, 2009 WL 1532999 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2009).
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2007 Rate Case, 2008 WL 4489072 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2008).
- BDO Seidman, LLP v. Harris, 885 N.E.2d 470 (Ill. App. Ct. 2008).
- United States v. All Meat and Poultry Products Stored at LaGrou Cold Storage, 407 F. Supp. 2d 823 (N.D. Ill. 2007).
- Re: Interstate Power and Light Company, 2007 WL 4754232 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2007).
- Re: Interstate Power and Light Company, 2007 WL 1794929 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2007).
- Re: South Beloit Water, Gas and Electric Company, 2007 WL 1794930 (Ill. Commerce Comm’n 2007).
- Schindler v. Cequent Consumer Products, Inc., 2006 WL 2062099 (E.D. Mo. 2006).
- Strategic Energy, LLC v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 860 N.E.2d 361 (Ill. App. Ct. 2006).
- MidAmerican Energy Company v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 854 N.E.2d 238 (Ill. App. Ct. 2006).
- Illinois Commerce Commission v. Entergy-Koch Trading, LP, 841 N.E.2d 27 (Ill. App. Ct. 2005).
- Mercury Skyline Yacht Charters v. The Dave Matthews Band, Inc., 2005 WL 3159680 (N.D. Ill. 2005).
- Roadway Express v. Juedes, 2004 WL 2423811 (N.D. Ill. 2004).