Claire Winnard is a member of the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice Group. Her practice focuses on the representation of management in labor and employment disputes. She has represented employers in a range of matters involving Illinois, California, and federal law, including discrimination, harassment, and complex wage and hour class actions. Claire also has experience counseling employers on their employment policies and practices. Her experience includes:
- Counseling clients on labor and employment matters, including misclassification, meal and rest breaks, hiring/firing, unfair labor practice charges, and compliance with state and federal employment laws (Title VII, FMLA, FLSA, state labor codes).
- Drafting and negotiating various agreements, including litigation settlement and employee separation agreements.
- Reviewing and updating corporate policies and employee handbooks for compliance with state and federal employment laws.
- Representing various companies in wage and hour meal/rest break, off-the-clock, and misclassification class actions, including managing fact investigation, oral, written, and electronic discovery, and drafting numerous litigation-related documents, including summary judgment papers, appellate briefs, and motions for attorneys’ fees.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology (Managing Editor)
- Pace University (M.S.T., cum laude, 2007)
- Degree: Elementary Education
- University of Miami (B.M., cum laude, 2005)
- Degree: Music
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of California (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Teach For America (2005 New York City Corps Member). Taught third grade for two years at PS335 in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn
- KIPP Chicago Charter School Associate Board (Member)
- Northwestern University School of Law Young Alumni Club (Board Member)