Class Action Defense
Quarles & Brady has one of the most experienced and successful class action defense teams in the nation. Our lawyers regularly handle class actions through all phases — initial analysis, oppositions to certification, discovery, dispositive motions and, when necessary, trial — across a broad spectrum of substantive areas. Whether a complaint alleges antitrust, consumer protection, employment, products liability, securities, insurance, labor or any number of other claims, we bring a solid base of past experience and success to each new matter.
We maintain a database of briefs and court opinions — published and unpublished — allowing quick access to past persuasive arguments and precedent, and we monitor class action developments on a national, regional and local level. We have developed extensive in-house expertise regarding numerous common (and less-than-common) issues that may arise, and we have litigated the numerous intricacies of the Class Action Fairness Act in several jurisdictions. We also understand the local rules and the individual preferences of the courts in which we practice, which we use to effectively litigate our clients’ best interests.
We have significant experience litigating the critical issue of whether a class should be certified and have repeatedly defended against motions for certification, and also preemptively moved to strike class claims. We are well practiced in quickly and efficiently dealing with discovery, expert preparation, briefing and advocacy, and we maintain a host of resources at our disposal. Setting us apart from other firms, our lawyers also bring a wealth of trial and appellate experience to each matter, allowing us to take aggressive positions throughout each phase of a class action. Representative Matters
- Consumer: Allegations of contractual and regulatory violations relating to terms of assisted living arrangements. Tried successfully and affirmed on appeal.
- Securities: Securities fraud class action concerning public statements regarding actual and projected performance. Dismissed with prejudice.
- Insurance: Allegations of annual improper dividend allocation methodology. Defeated motion for nationwide certification and successfully moved to strike in copycat litigation.
- Wage and Hour: Allegations of allegedly unlawful policies and procedures used in paying employees. Successfully moved to decertify class, and we are currently litigating 15 related class actions across the country.
- Pension: Allegations of plan’s improper collections of contributions under collective bargaining agreement. Tried successfully and affirmed on appeal.
For more information, please contact Daniel Conley, Chair, Quarles & Brady Class Action Defense Team at (414) 277-5609 /
or your Quarles & Brady attorney.