Corbin Morris is a member of the firm’s Tax-Exempt Organizations and Business Law Practice Groups. In his tax-exempt practice, Corbin advises private foundations, public charities, trade associations, and other tax-exempt entities on a variety of legal and tax matters, including the following
- Forming new not-for-profit organizations and preparing the applications for appropriate federal and state tax exemptions (including property tax exemptions).
- Drafting and reviewing corporate governance documents.
- Compliance with tax laws, including the excess benefit transaction rules and the private foundation excise tax laws.
- Dissolutions and mergers into other tax-exempt organizations.
- Compliance with state charitable solicitation laws, including with respect to for-profit organizations that solicit on behalf of, or partner with, not-for-profit organizations.
- Tax reporting obligations arising out of investments in private equity, hedge funds, and other alternative investments, including Forms 926, 5471, 6781, 8621, 8865, and 8886.
Corbin’s corporate practice focuses on structuring closely held businesses and joint ventures; advising early-stage companies on general corporate matters; and advising institutional investors with respect to their investments in private equity, hedge funds, and other alternative investment vehicles. He also has experience advising community banks and other entities on compliance with the Dodd-Frank rules relating to uncleared swap transactions.
Education and Honors
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., 2012)
- Major: Taxation
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2011)
- Certificate in Tax Law
- Loyola Law Journal (Junior Member)
- CALI Awards for the highest grade in Federal Income Tax Clinic, 2010; Advocacy, 2009; and Legal Writing I, 2008
- New York University (B.A., 2006)
- Major: Linguistics
- Minor: Philosophy
- New Jersey
- New York (pending)
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Federal Taxation Committee – Exempt Organizations Division; Business Law Committee)
- New York State Bar Association (Member)
- New York City Bar Association (Member)
- Spudnik Press Cooperative (Member of Board of Directors)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Greater Illinois Chapter (Member of Chicago CF Climb Planning Committee)
- The Night Ministry (Volunteer)
- Chicago Scholars (Volunteer)
- Printers Ball 2013 (Volunteer)