David Bourne represents both lenders and borrowers in sophisticated syndicated and single-lender financings. He has extensive experience with asset-based lending transactions, international financing, letter of credit transactions, work-outs, restructurings, interest rate swap documentation, and third-party legal opinions. Following private equity transactions, Dave works closely with portfolio companies on all aspects of their financing and credit needs.
In 2013, Dave was recognized for his outstanding service and responsiveness to clients’ needs by being named a Client Service All-Star by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc. – one of only 307 attorneys from across the United States to be so honored.
Dave is a member of the firm’s Financial Services Industry Team, where he shares responsibility for coordinating training for other attorneys who practice in the commercial finance field. He is a past national chair of Quarles & Brady’s Commercial Financial Services Team and is a former member of the firm's Summer Associate Committee.
Recent representative transactions include
- Representing the agent bank in extending a $140 million revolving credit facility to an NFL franchise.
- Representing the lead bank in a $100 million secured credit transaction involving the operator of long-term healthcare facilities.
- Representing the lender in a $15 million loan to a leading national food commodities broker.
- Advising a public company on day-to-day interpretive issues arising under its $2.9 billion revolving and term loan credit agreement.
- Representing a manufacturing company in connection with its $150 million asset securitization facility.
- Representing an asset based lender in a $15 million revolving loan to a data aggregator and market research firm.
- Local counsel to numerous lenders, corporations, and borrowers with respect to Wisconsin transactions.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1988)
- Marquette Law Review
- Zilber Scholar
- Marquette Lawyer Scholar
- Georgetown University (M.A., 1983)
- Wheaton College, Illinois (B.A., magna cum laude, 1981)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member of the American, Wisconsin, and Milwaukee Bar Associations
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association, Member of the board of directors (1992–1995), President (1994–1995)
- Member of a defense team that provided pro bono legal representation to a Texas death row inmate, assumed key responsibilities for drafting a petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court (1988–1995)
- American Lung Association
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2016–present: Banking & Finance)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2012–present: Banking and Finance Law / Corporate Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated