David Olson handles all aspects of compensation and benefits law and helps guide businesses, governmental entities, and tax-exempt organizations through the complicated issues arising in connection with the design, development, implementation, maintenance, defense, and termination of employee compensation and benefit plans and arrangements. His recent experience includes
- Providing ongoing counseling for the entire spectrum of plan types, including defined benefit, profit-sharing, 401(k), employee stock ownership, and 457 and 403(b) plans in regards to plan design and operation, including compliance with the statutory requirements of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 ("ERISA") and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Designing and implementing stock option and other equity-based plans, and non-qualified deferred compensation and supplemental plans, including the design of vehicles to secure plan benefits such as rabbi trusts, incentive and bonus plans, severance benefit plans, "golden parachute" arrangements, and executive employment and resignation agreements.
- Guiding employers through ERISA's fiduciary provisions, including areas such as participant-directed 404(c) plans, participant education, investment of plan assets, and reporting and disclosure.
- Providing clients with comprehensive counseling on the design and operation of medical and dental plans, cafeteria, dependent care, medical reimbursement, group-term life, retiree health, and flexible benefit plans, including COBRA and HIPAA compliance.
- Advising on the employee benefits aspects of corporate transactions, performing due diligence and analysis of legal obligations of the myriad types of employee benefit plans and arrangements that are implicated during deal-making, and negotiating and drafting the components of purchase and sale agreements that pertain to employee benefits matters.
Education and Honors
- Northern Illinois University (J.D., 1985)
- Northern Illinois University College of Law Alumni Association (Council Member, Former President)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Northern Illinois Law Review (Note Editor)
- Northern Illinois University (B.S., 1979)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals (Member)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2009–present: Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits & Compensation)
- Co-presenter, "Employee Benefits and Employment Considerations when Analyzing Deals," Quarles & Brady Business Law Training, May 12, 2011