David Wilmoth is the national co-chair of the firm’s Tax Team. His practice focuses in the areas of tax, mergers and acquisitions, and general business and corporate matters. His experience includes:
- Advising businesses, both privately and publicly held, on a wide range of federal and state tax issues.
- Regularly representing business clients in tax disputes with the IRS or state taxing authorities at the audit, appellate and court levels.
- Regularly advising privately held and family owned businesses in business, commercial, succession planning, estate and tax matters.
- Representing purchasers and sellers, both strategic and financial, in more than 100 successful stock and asset acquisitions in a wide variety of industries throughout the United States and internationally.
- Representing publicly and privately held businesses in the negotiation, preparation and review of commercial contracts.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1981)
Editor-in-Chief, Marquette Law Review. Phi Delta Phi.
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.A., 1978)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1981
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1981
U.S. Tax Court, 1986
U.S. Court of International Trade, 1989
Named the Best Lawyers’ 2012 Milwaukee Tax Law Lawyer of the Year.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
(1993-present: Litigation & Controversy - Tax / Tax Law).
Peer Review Rated.
Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2013 Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member, Taxation Section; Committee on State and Local Taxes, 1990-present).
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Tax Section Board of Directors, Member, 1991-1996, Chair, 1996-1998).
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member).
- Milwaukee Tax Club (Member).
- Milwaukee World Trade Association (Member).
- Village of Greendale Police and Fire Commission (1994-present).