Derek T. Neathery is a real estate attorney and partner with Quarles & Brady LLP. He is also Vice-Chair of the Real Estate Practice Group. Derek concentrates his practice in the areas of joint ventures, dispositions, acquisitions, leasing, and development.
Derek regularly represents clients in a variety of transactions involving senior housing, office, retail, industrial, hotel, and multifamily assets across the country. His experience also includes the development and sale of mixed-use projects and his clients include private REITs, pension fund advisors, and private equity investors.
He also regularly represents landlords and tenants in a variety of leasing transactions. His experience includes negotiation of pre-construction leases for new office developments and preparation of form leases for landlords of multi-tenant office properties.
Derek's recent experience includes:
- Acquisition of a 136-unit independent and assisted senior living facility located in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Tampa, Florida, for over $70,000,000 on behalf of a joint venture between a major institutional investor and senior living operator. Representation included negotiation of joint venture agreement, management agreement, and financing.
- Acquisition of a 139-unit independent and assisted senior living facility located outside Minneapolis, Minnesota, for over $50,000,000 on behalf of a joint venture between a major institutional investor and senior living operator. Representation included negotiation of joint venture agreement, management agreement, and financing.
- Sale of 1,000,000 square foot regional retail center in Fairview, Texas, for over $65,000,000 on behalf of a private REIT.
- Representation of a landlord in all leases for a 240,000 square foot office project developed in Raleigh, North Carolina, including all pre-construction leasing required to commence development.
- On-going representation of landlord in all leases for a 700,000 square foot office project in Chicago, Illinois, owned by major institutional investor.
- Real Estate
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2005)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Michigan (B.A., 2001)
- University Honors
Professional and Civic Activities
- Cathedral Counseling Center (Board member)
- Chicago Loop Alliance (Planning and Advocacy committee member)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2014–present: Real Estate)