Due Diligence in Corporate & Property Transactions
The environmental lawyers at Quarles & Brady are highly experienced in addressing environmental issues in a broad array of business transactions. We have negotiated environmental terms in corporate transactions throughout the United States and in Europe, Mexico and China. We assist buyers, sellers, lenders, investors and underwriters in determining environmental risks associated with transactions and then drafting and negotiating contractual provisions to appropriately allocate the risk and successfully close transactions.
Quarles & Brady’s environmental attorneys regularly work with our firm’s corporate and real estate teams in conducting appropriate environmental due diligence to identify the environmental risks and liabilities associated with transactions. In addition to drafting and negotiating appropriate contractual provisions to address the environmental obligations and liabilities, we conduct all necessary pre- and post-closing permit transfers and amendments as well as completing post-closing environmental investigation and remediation, if called for under the terms of the transaction.
- Comprehensive environmental due diligence in commercial and real estate transactions across the United States and in Europe, Mexico and China.
- Representing the seller in multiple sales of former industrial, environmentally impacted properties across the United States where the seller provided buyers with pollution and remediation legal liability policies in lieu of environmental indemnities.
- Working with a variety of manufacturers in assessing and managing environmental liabilities in both acquisition and divestiture transactions.
- Negotiating and documenting water rights acquisitions, sales and leases.
- Advising clients on assured water supply issues, project and golf course water acquisition and usage, and water use and acquisition for real estate development projects.
- Negotiating development agreements with municipalities, construction contracts and financing documents on behalf of real estate developers.
- Representing numerous real estate developers in the development of contaminated properties, including a national retailer in leasing contaminated property.
- Extensive experience in brownfields redevelopment, both for private and municipal clients, including development of appropriate funding (such as Environmental TIF Districts) and successful applications for federal and state brownfields redevelopment grants.
- Negotiation of issuance and withdrawal of Clean Water Act permits for fill of wetlands.
For more information on how our Environmental Group can help you address potential or actual environment-related legal and business concerns, please contact Arthur A. Vogel Jr. at (414) 277-5545 or
, or your local Quarles & Brady attorney.