Ed Hermes practices in the firm's Commercial Litigation and Tribal Law Groups. His recent experience includes:
- Representing non-profit and governmental entities in breach of contract actions in state and tribal court.
- Defending tribal entities by asserting sovereign immunity in tribal court litigation.
- Representing and defending tribal entity before tribal supreme court.
- Advising employers regarding compliance with tribal employment laws and defending employers in related litigation
- Assisting clients with interpretation of and compliance with tribal law and federal Indian law regarding economic development projects on tribal lands.
Prior to attending law school, he served on the Arizona Board of Regents, worked as a Legislative and Tribal Liaison for the Arizona Department of Agriculture, and as Dean of Students / government teacher at St. Michael Indian School on the Navajo Nation.
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Indian Legal Program. Order of the Coif (Member). Dean’s Award (Recipient). Order of the Barristers (Member)
- Arizona State Law Journal (Associate Editor)
- ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition (Member); William H. Pedrick Scholar
- Executive Moot Court (Chair); Student Bar Association (Vice-President)
- Arizona State University (B.A. and B.S., magna cum laude, 2006)
- Majors: History and Public Policy Advocacy
- Navajo Nation
- Navajo Nation Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2013
- Gila River Indian Community, 2012
Professional and Civic Activities
- Native American Bar Association of Arizona (Member)
- Arizona State Bar (Member, Indian Law Section)
- Capital School Homeroom Program (Volunteer)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Knights of Columbus, Fr. Patterson Council of Chandler (Member)
- Native Vote 2012, 2014 (Coordinator, Volunteer)
- Listed in "20 People to Know in Law" by the Phoenix Business Journal (2016)
- Monsignor Edward J. Ryle Foundation, Board of Directors