The types and structures of retirement plans are constantly changing and evolving, due to changes in federal law and employers’ business needs and goals. To assist our clients in understanding this changing environment, our team provides complete service and advice on the design, tax impact, implementation, and ongoing management of all types of retirement plan. The following is a brief list of the types of services and advice that we can provide with respect to these types of plans:
- Designing and drafting all types of retirement plan, including 403(b), 401(k), and defined benefit plans, and assisting with the administration and compliance of such plans.
- Counseling on controlled group and affiliated service group issues.
- Advising on coverage and nondiscrimination testing issues.
- Representing clients in interactions with various government agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
- Advising clients on the application of the specific rules with respect to church plans.
- Analyzing the impact of workforce reductions on retirement plans.
- Representing employers, trustees, selling shareholders, and lending institutions with respect to employee stock ownership plan transactions, and the implementation and administration of employee stock ownership plans.
- Providing income and estate tax planning for distributions from tax-qualified plans, and individual retirement accounts.
- Assisting in the selection of service providers and third-party vendors.
- Reviewing and negotiating service agreements with providers and vendors.
- Representing clients in connection with Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor plan correction programs.
- Working with clients and consultants on the redesign of retirement programs, including the freezing and/or termination of defined benefit plans, and defined benefit / defined contribution choice.
- Assisting clients with plan mergers, freezes, terminations, and early retirement subsidy reductions.
- Advising clients regarding design and implementation of early retirement incentive programs.
- Drafting and reviewing various plan-related documents, including communication materials, summary plan descriptions, election forms, and IRS and DOL filings.