Quarles & Brady LLP and the Electric Power and Gas Distribution Industries
Quarles & Brady LLP’s lawyers have extensive experience handling issues that arise in the electric power and gas distribution industries. Among the regulatory matters Quarles & Brady lawyers have dealt with are:
- Securing regulatory commission approval to build new power plants where the owners have been a public utility company; industrial concerns seeking to self-supply or cogenerate; and independent power producers.
- Securing regulatory commission approval to raise utility rates both in general rate cases and in special purpose rate cases to recover such items as fuel costs, spent nuclear fuel storage costs and costs of new emission control devices.
- Representation of utilities in long-range plan approval proceedings.
- Representation of utilities in proceedings involving the unbundling of transmission assets.
- Representation of utility holding companies in merger approval proceedings.
In these and other regulatory matters, Quarles & Brady’s lawyers can provide a full range of services, including:
- Development of a regulatory strategy.
- Preparation of applications to regulatory commissions, including supporting documents.
- Negotiations with regulatory commission staff and third-party intervenors.
- Retention of experts.
- Preparation of testimony in support of applications.
- Representation at regulatory commission hearings, including cross-examination of adverse witnesses.
- Preparation of post-hearing briefs (or where appropriate, presentation of oral argument).
- Bringing or defending against post-decision appeals, either at the agency level or in court.
One member of our energy practice, Ave M. Bie, (J.D., Wisconsin) is the former chairperson and commissioner of the Wisconsin Public Service Commission (1998-2004). Another member, Brian D. Winters, (J.D., Yale) has an advanced degree in economics and was editor-in-chief of the Yale Journal on Regulation. Not only do they understand the law, they understand the energy industry and the issues it confronts.
In addition to the experience and knowledge of its regulatory lawyers, we have the depth of resources to handle most other areas of the law that affect energy industry participants, including environmental law, government relations, securities law, antitrust law, real estate laws, corporate and commercial law, and litigation.
For more information on how our Energy Group can assist you with your regulatory matters, please contact Ave M. Bie at (608) 294-294-4929 /
, Donald K. Schott at (608) 294-4923 /
, Brian D. Winters at (414) 277-5149 /
or your local Quarles & Brady attorney.