Eric J. Fuglsang is a real estate attorney and partner with Quarles & Brady LLP. He previously served as the Chicago Office Chair of the Real Estate Practice Group. Eric concentrates his practice in commercial leasing, real estate finance, acquisitions, dispositions, and development.
Eric regularly represents corporate, commercial, governmental, and not-for-profit clients in all aspects of commercial leasing, asset management, real estate finance, and project development involving office, industrial, warehouse, medical, retail, and multifamily assets across the country. His experience also includes the leasing of pre-construction commercial office, industrial, warehouse, and medical office projects, the preparation and negotiation of pre-construction lease forms, and the leasing and licensing of consolidated rental car and air freight cargo facilities at several local airports. Eric regularly represents landlords and tenants in a wide variety of leasing transactions, including high-profile anchor tenant, pre-construction, and redevelopment transactions.
Eric's recent experience includes:
- Representation of The John Buck Company and its partner, Morgan Stanley, as the landlord, in connection with the lease of approximately 462,000 square feet of space at 333 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, to The Northern Trust Company.
- Ongoing representation of The John Buck Company, as the landlord, with respect to the pre-construction leasing and development of the 151 North Franklin, Chicago, Illinois, project, including anchor tenant leases with Continental Casualty Company (for approximately 300,000 square feet) and Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP (for approximately 121,000 square feet).
- Representation of The John Buck Company and its partner, Morgan Stanley, as the purchaser, in connection with the acquisition of the CNA Building located at 333 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois.
- Ongoing representation of Millbrook Real Estate Company, together with its various affiliates and partners, in connection with its leasing, asset management, acquisition, organizational, and related real estate activities.
- Ongoing representation of the developer landlord of a new-construction medical office campus located in Newport Beach, California, with respect to its pre-construction leasing activities.
- Serving as Midwest Regional Counsel for a major life insurance company on mortgage loan and loan sale transactions ranging in size from $3 million to in excess of $1 billion.
- Representation of the following entities as tenants in connection with their anchor tenant or corporate headquarters leasing transactions: William Blair & Company (150 North Riverside Plaza, Chicago, Illinois); Wintrust Financial Corporation (231 South LaSalle, Chicago, Illinois); Univar Inc. (Landmark I, Downers Grove, Illinois); Career Education Corporation (231 North Martingale Road, Schaumburg, Illinois); Baker & McKenzie LLP (300 East Randolph, Chicago, Illinois); MillerCoors LLC (250 South Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois); and Kirkland & Ellis LLP (300 North LaSalle, Chicago, Illinois).
- Business Law
- Health & Life Sciences
- Real Estate
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate, 2013)
- Certificate of Executive Management
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Top five percent (5%) of law school class; Dean's Scholar distinction; American Jurisprudence Award (Civil Procedure)
- DePaul Law Review (Member)
- Order of the Coif (Member)
- Phi Kappa Phi (Member); Delta Mu Delta (Member)
- Elmhurst College (B.S., highest honors, 1994)
- Dual major: Economics and Business Administration
- Minor: Geography and Environmental Planning
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1997
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member: Real Property Section)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Bill George Youth Football League (Volunteer Coach)
- YMCA of Elmhurst (Volunteer Coach: Boys Flag Football and Girls Basketball)
- Elmhurst Youth Baseball (Volunteer Coach)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–present: Real Estate Law)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2014–present: Real Estate)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2007–2011: Real Estate)
- Leading Lawyers Network (Member)