Eric M. Williams is a registered patent attorney and member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Eric assists clients in obtaining and maximizing the value of their patent portfolios. He utilizes the knowledge he gained working as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent Office to help clients obtain broad patent protection in a timely and cost-efficient manner. Eric has drafted and prosecuted numerous domestic, foreign and international (PCT) utility and design patent applications in the biomedical, mechanical, computer and electro-mechanical arts spanning a variety of different technologies including medical devices, electrical fuses, dialysis systems, infusion pumps, orthopedic braces, medical diagnostic and monitoring systems, artificial turf systems, gaming systems, consumer appliances, and sporting equipment.
Eric also assists clients in analyzing competitor technology and patent filings for strategic licensing and/or acquisition opportunities. Eric has a substantial amount of experience performing large scale freedom-to-operate/clearance projects and providing invalidity, non-infringement and design around advice and opinions.
Eric's practice further includes assisting clients with post-grant proceedings including U.S. Patent Office reexaminations and European Patent Office (EPO) oppositions at the EPO Opposition Division and Appeals Board, where he has attended and managed oral proceedings.
Eric also helps clients with patent litigation and licensing matters.
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
Education and Honors
- Chicago Kent College of Law at the Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D., with honors, 2006)
- Recipient of CALI Awards for Advanced Issues in Patent Law, Trademarks and Unfair Competition Law, and Management of Intellectual Property Portfolios
- Michigan State University (B.S., with honors, 2001)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office