300 N. LaSalle Street
Eric Ledbetter specializes in complex business immigration matters for prominent individuals and the employees of corporate clients. He represents investors, doctors, scientists, researchers, engineers, business executives, entertainers, and high-tech workers. He has broad experience with H, L, O, TN, B, E and other types of non-immigrant visa status, as well as Conrad 30, No Objection, and Interested Government Agency J-1 waivers, and permanent residency based on PERM labor certification, EB-1 Outstanding Research, Extraordinary Ability, and Multinational Management. Mr. Ledbetter advises companies on a range of workplace issues, including immigration and I-9 compliance, E-Verify best practices, and avoidance of discrimination claims based on alienage and citizenship status.
Education and Honors
- UCLA School of Law (J.D., 2006)
Awarded a merit-based research assistantship at the UCLA Williams Institute.
- Indiana University (B.A., 1997)
Supreme Court of Illinois, 2009
Supreme Court of Wisconsin, 2007
Supreme Court of California, 2006
Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®
-Rising Stars Editions 2012-2014 (Immigration).
Awarded the 2010 Distinguished Service Award by the Chicago Volunteer Lawyers Service Foundation (Recipient, 2010).
Named to “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 To Watch” by Chicago Lawyer magazine (Law Bulletin Publishing Company), 2010.
Professional and Civic Activities
- U.S. Department of Labor National Liaison Committee, AILA 2014-2015.
- Founding Member of the Chinatown Legal Clinic.
- American Immigration Lawyers Association - “AILA”.
- National Immigrant Justice Center (Pro Bono Asylum Counsel).
- Quarles & Brady National Clean Energy Industry Initiative.
- Quarles & Brady Research Institutions Initiative.
- Co-presenter, “Immigration, I-9 and E-Verify Compliance for Employers,” Business Law Training Program, Quarles & Brady, May 8, 2014.
- Co-author, “Spring Cleaning Series: Keeping up on your Immigration, I-9, and E-Verify Documentation,” Immigration Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, May 2014.
- Co-author, “New Window for Filing H-1B Visa Petitions Fast Approaching,” Immigration Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, February 2014.
- Presenter, “Immigration and Compliance in 2013: What You Need to Know LIVE Webcast,” The Knowledge Congress, July 17, 2013.
- Co-presenter, “A Legal Update for HR Professionals: E Verify, Immigration and the New I-9,” SHRM Northwest Human Resource Council Professional Development Event, May 16, 2013.
- Presenter, “Employer Compliance: Immigration, the Form I-9, and E-Verify,” Quarles & Brady L&E Seminar, January 24, 2012.
- Speaker, “Hot Topics: Immigration Compliance Issues for Employers,” Chicago-Kent College of Law, June 2, 2011.
- Co-author, "No-Match Letters are Back!" Immigration Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, April 2011.
- Co-author, “New Governor Mandates E-Verify for Florida State Agencies and Businesses With State Contracts,” Labor & Employment Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, January 2011.
- Lead Presenter, “The Impact of E-Verify on Labor & Employment Lawyers and Their Clients in 2011,” ExecSense National Webinar, November 12, 2010.
- Co-author, “Utah Joins In E-Verify Requirement,” Labor & Employment Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, April 2010.
- Author, “Using E-Verify requires commitment, oversight,” The Business Ledger, March 22, 2010.
- Featured, “Around the Water Cooler,” Chicago Lawyer magazine, March 9, 2010.
- Author, “Should Your Company Use E-Verify?,” Workforce Management, March 2010.
- Co-author (with Grant Sovern), “New Illinois E-Verify law effective January 1, 2010: special Illinois procedures required,” Human Resources Memo, Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, February 4, 2010.
- Co-author, “Window for Filing H-1B Visa Petitions Fast Approaching,” Immigration Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, February 2010.
- Author, “Avoid E-Verify Pitfalls,” BizTimes Milwaukee, January 8, 2010.
- Featured, “Due diligence needed to avoid penalties associated with I-9 and E-Verify non-compliance,” Corporate Report, January 8, 2010
- Presenter, “Overview of the Greencard Process,” Wisconsin State Bar Convention, 2009.
- Co-author, “The Fiscal Year 2010 H-1B Cap Has Been Reached,” Immigration Law Update, Quarles & Brady, December 2009.
- Co-author, “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Announces 1,000 New Audits of Employers Nationwide,” Immigration Law Alert, Quarles & Brady, November 2009.
- Co-author, “Department of Homeland Security Issues Revised Form I-9,” Immigration Law Update, Quarles & Brady, August 2009.
- Presenter, “The ABC's and H-1B’s of U.S. Immigration,” Milwaukee Barrister’s Club, October 2007.