Eric Van Vugt is a trial lawyer who handles complex commercial litigation, specializing in professional liability, insurance coverage and product liability matters. Eric has been lead counsel in more than 100 cases tried to verdict in state and federal courts across the country and has extensive arbitration and appellate experience. Recent experience includes:
- Representing a large life insurance company in a nationwide policyholder class action challenging the insurer’s method of allocating dividends.
- Defending a leading insurance broker in professional liability lawsuits pending in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Defending a leading benefits consulting firm in lawsuits alleging actuarial malpractice.
- Representing airlines and manufacturers of aircraft and aircraft components in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 1976)
Marquette University Law Review (Lead Article Editor).
- Calvin College (B.A., 1973)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2011, 2013: Litigation).
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2010 Milwaukee Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2001-present: Bet-the-Company Litigation / Commercial Litigation / Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants).
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Business Litigation).
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.