Fred Lautz is the Firm Managing Partner of Quarles & Brady LLP. He practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance/securities. His practice heavily emphasizes mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations of all types and sizes, including numerous types of financial institutions and mutual funds, in addition to traditional manufacturing, retail, distribution and services companies. Mr. Lautz’s corporate finance/securities experience includes advising clients on corporate governance matters, buy/sell agreements, executive and equity compensation programs, general business matters and securities offerings (including public and private offerings of equity and debt securities). A significant portion of his practice is dedicated to representing mutual funds and investment advisors, including organization and initial registration, board composition and corporate governance matters, regulatory compliance, share distribution structures and relationships, and acquisitions and reorganizations. Mr. Lautz also has experience in structuring and organizing private investment companies and leveraged buyout funds. His recent experiences include:
- Representation of a publicly-held manufacturing company in its $300+ million acquisition of a privately held manufacturing company in an auction process, including the client’s issuance of registered stock to the shareholders of the target company and the concurrent private placement of $175 million aggregate principal amount of senior subordinated notes followed by a registered exchange offer of those notes.
- Representation of a series investment company in connection with its consolidation of three separate managed equity funds into a newly created S&P 500 Index fund.
- Representation of an investment company and its investment adviser in connection with the investment company’s acquisition of the assets of an unaffiliated mutual fund.
- Representation of a privately held lifestyle magazine publishing company in connection with its $650 million sale through an auction process to a financial buyer.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1985)
Order of the Coif, Wisconsin Law Review (Senior Note and Comment Editor).
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (M.E.P.D., 1980)
Degrees: Math and Physics.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (B.S., 1975)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
Named the Best Lawyers’ 2012 Milwaukee Mergers & Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
(2006-present: Corporate Law / Mergers and Acquisitions Law / Securities/Capital Markets Law).
Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2013 Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
lists (Mergers & Acquisitions).
Peer Review Rated.
Professional and Civic Activities
State Bar of Wisconsin (Member, Securities Law Committee, Subcommittee on 1933 and 1934 Act Disclosures, Subcommittee on Investment Companies).
American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section).