Gary Kline is a retired partner with Quarles & Brady LLP. He specialized in the area of federal income taxation, and as a tax lawyer he was involved in large numbers of transactions. In recent years, his practice has been very varied and has included the following:
- Estate and trust administration.
- Tax planning and advice relating to complex transactions.
- Extensive representation in the tax-exempt organization area.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts with respect to various types of transactions.
Education and Honors
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1965)
- University of Michigan (B.A., with distinction, 1962)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Cook County District 29 School Board, Northfield, Illinois (President, 1985-1989)
- Cook County District 29 (School Board Member, 1981-1989)
- North Suburban Special Education District (Governing Board, 1983-1985)
- Palliative Care Center of the North Shore (President, 1986-1989; Board Member, 1982-present)
- Northfield School and Park Board Caucus (Chair, 1989-1998)
- District 29 Foundation (Vice President and Board Member, 1994-present)
- Hospice of the North Shore Foundation (Board Member, 1994-present)
- Schweppe Foundation (Treasurer and Board Member, 1988-present)
- Field Foundation of Illinois, Inc. (Secretary, 1985-present)
- First Analysis Institute (Board Member, 1990-present)
- National Schools for Effective Schools Research and Development (Board Member, 1988-1993)
- DuSable High School Foundation (Board Member, 1998-present)
- Selected by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in Illinois
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006 Illinois Super Lawyers® list (Non-Profit)
- Received award as the outstanding citizen of Northfield, Illinois, 1994
- Palliative Care Center of the North Shore (Paul S. Wise Award for Distinguished Community Service, 1997)
- Attended The University of Edinburgh in Scotland
- "How to Exercise Expenditure Responsibility," Family Matters, Spring 1998
- "When Is Expenditure Responsibility Necessary," Family Matters, Winter 1997
- "Advocacy Activities of Charitable Organizations," The National Conference of Bar Foundations' Foundations Forum, Fall 1992
- "Build a Solid Foundation," American School Board Journal, November 1992
- "Establishment of a Supporting Foundation to Raise Funds for a School District," American School Board Journal, November 1992