George Haas focused his practice on patent law and contracts related to patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. He had extensive experience in assisting companies and individual inventors in acquiring and protecting product designs, technology, and business know-how. Mr. Haas' practice included patent experience in industrial controls and computer control systems, electric motor controls, hydraulic systems and components, medical devices and surgical apparatus, food processing equipment, electricity distribution systems and components, gasoline engines, semiconductor devices and integrated circuits, image processing, lasers, and television broadcast equipment. His experience included:
- Obtaining U.S. and foreign patents on mechanical, electrical, and business method inventions.
- Negotiating and drafting joint product development contracts and technology licenses.
- Reviewing clients' products for potential patent infringement and successfully defending against claims of patent infringement.
- Stopping competitors from copying clients' patented products.
- Performing due diligence reviews of patents, trademarks, and copyrights being acquired or licensed by clients, and recording the transfer of ownership.
- Counseling clients and their employees regarding what can and should be patented and pitfalls that jeopardize the ability to obtain a patent.
Mr. Haas was a managing patent attorney at RCA Corp. from 1974 to 1986.
Education and Honors
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1974)
- Editor, American Criminal Law Review
- Marquette University (B.S.E.E., 1971)
- Outstanding Engineering Senior
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Tau Beta Pi
- Eta Kappa Nu
- New Jersey (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member: State Bar of Wisconsin; Milwaukee Bar Association (Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Law Section, 1994-1995); Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Director, 1992-1995); American Intellectual Property Law Association; Village of Elm Grove (Trustee 1995 - present); Milwaukee Public Television (Auction Board 1991-1995, 1998)
- Managing Patent Attorney, RCA Corp., 1974–1986
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present: Litigation – Patent / Patent Law)
- Updated Quarles & Brady Intellectual Law Primer in light of the changes in U.S. patent laws made by the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, November 2011.