Gregory P. Sitrick is a member of the Intellectual Property Group. He assists his clients with all aspects of intellectual property related rights, from procurement, enforcement and maintenance of patent, trademarks and copyrights, to protection, enforcement and/or defense against infringement, trade dress, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition and unfair trade practices. He develops creative solutions so that his clients can obtain, license, protect and enforce patent and intellectual property-related rights.
With practical experience in engineering, Mr. Sitrick counsels clients from a variety of technical fields.
While in law school, Mr. Sitrick worked as a patent engineer and was responsible for drafting applications and responding to office actions for patents involving advanced electronics and systems.
Before attending law school, Mr. Sitrick worked for Intelligent Resources Integrated Systems, U.S. Robotics/3COM and MPC Products Corporation. Mr. Sitrick has hands-on experience with video technology including green-screen technologies and MPEG authoring technologies, communications technology including modems and communication devices, as well as aeronautical/aerospace engineering technologies, such as components and systems for fighter jets, space shuttles, commercial aircraft, military helicopters, tanks and GPS-guided bombs.
Mr. Sitrick’s experiences include:
- Successfully defended International Game Technology in a complex, multi-party case in Nevada involving patent infringement, validity, inventorship, ownership and trade secret misappropriation issues. Mr. Sitrick successfully argued numerous discovery, summary judgment, pretrial and other motions, and served as IGT’s lead counsel at Markman and Summary judgment hearings. Mr. Sitrick served as second chair for four weeks of trial before obtaining a very favorable settlement for IGT.
- Represented an international camera company in a Section 337 ITC proceeding and corresponding District Court actions against a large rival computer manufacturer regarding software processing techniques.
- Helped numerous clients file for and obtain utility and design patents in a variety of fields, including data communication methods and systems, soft-based teaching methods, telephony and call-center related technology, music playback/interfacing devices for use with MP3 players, and a variety of sports related devices and methods.
- Successfully arbitrated and obtained a damages award and award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of a telephony technology company for a dispute involving a license to patents and other intellectual property rights.
- Represented Cabela’s Inc. in all aspects of intellectual property, including defending Cabela’s in a complex case in Montana involving copyright infringement, trademark infringement, unfair competition and unfair trade practices, and trade secret misappropriation issues. Mr. Sitrick also represented Cabela’s in a patent infringement case in California and another in Utah related to camouflage patterns. Mr. Sitrick has helped Cabela’s obtain numerous favorable settlements of various other intellectual property related matters and lawsuits.
- Successfully represented a large international medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement case alleging infringement of claims from five patents covering various aspects related to hemodialysis machines.
- Represented and assisted clients in the gaming, video gaming, medical device, weapons systems, retail, and electronic device manufacturing industries with:
- Establishing, analyzing and maintaining patent maps.
- Analyzing clearance and freedom to operate issues.
- Analyzing intellectual property ownership issues.
- Analyzing validity/invalidity issues.
- Analyzing and drafting complex license agreements.
- Negotiating and drafting information technology and software license and development agreements.
- Negotiations and drafting software and technology support and maintenance agreements.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 2003)
- Northern Arizona University (B.S.E.E., 2000)
Degree: B.S. Electrical Engineering.
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, District of Montana
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Named a 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star
by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (Member).
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Member, Chairman of 2004 and 2005 Field Day Events).
- Extern to the Honorable Ronald A. Guzman.
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member).
- Assistant Coach, Men's Varsity Club Hockey Team (2003-2009).