Heather Buchta has a transactional practice, covering the areas of e-commerce, software, technology and data privacy, with an additional focus on copyright and trademark prosecution. More specifically, her work focuses on software agreements (ASP, SaaS, downloadable and custom development), IT outsourcing, internet terms and conditions, internet privacy policies, electronic contracting, technology development agreements, copyright licenses, copyright prosecution, trademark licenses, and trademark prosecution. Heather is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Her experience includes:
- Drafting and negotiating complex click-wrap agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating cloud computing and IT license and development agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating software and technology support and maintenance agreements.
- Analyzing ownership issues in work made for hire.
- Drafting privacy policies for business-to-business and business-to-consumer websites.
- Copyright issues related to websites, software, and automated databases.
- Internet domain name and infringement issues.
- Trademark searching, clearance, and portfolio management.
- Ex parte and inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Business Law
- Direct Sales Industry
- Data Privacy & Security
- Health Information Technology, Privacy & Security
- Higher Education
- Technology Transfer
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Dean's List
- Order of Barristers, Washington University
- Midwest Region First Place Team, National Best Brief Winner, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Washington University
- Kansas State University (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
- Departmental honors in French, History, and Political Science
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2001
Professional and Civic Activities
- Raising Special Kids (Advisory Board Member)
- Raising Special Kids (Board of Directors, 2003–2009)
- Raising Special Kids (Treasurer, Executive Committee, 2008)
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- International Trademark Association (Member)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member)
- 2008 Athena Young Professional Award Nominee
- 2007 AZ Finest Couple, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Committee Member, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, 2007–2009
- Clinical Externship as Clerk for Judge Rodney Sippel, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Missouri – St. Louis, Missouri
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars (2012–2016: Intellectual Property)