Heather Buchta has a transactional practice, covering the areas of e-commerce, software and technology, with an additional focus on copyright and trademark prosecution. More specifically, her work focuses on software agreements (ASP, SaaS, downloadable and custom development), IT outsourcing, internet terms and conditions, internet privacy policies, electronic contracting, technology development agreements, copyright licenses, copyright prosecution, trademark licenses and trademark prosecution. Her experience includes dealing with:
- Drafting and negotiating complex click-wrap agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating cloud computing and IT license and development agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating software and technology support and maintenance agreements.
- Analyzing work made for hire ownership issues.
- Drafting privacy policies for B2B and B2C websites.
- Copyright issues related to websites, software and automated databases.
- Internet domain name and infringement issues.
- Trademark searching, clearance, and portfolio management.
- Ex parte and inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Education and Honors
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D., 2001)
Dean’s List. Order of Barristers, Washington University. Midwest Region First Place Team, National Best Brief Winner, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Washington University.
- Kansas State University (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
Departmental honors in French, History and Political Science.
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2001
Selected for inclusion in the Southwest Super Lawyers®
–Rising Stars 2012 and 2013 Editions (Intellectual Property).
Professional and Civic Activities
Advisory Board Member, Raising Special Kids; Member, Arizona Women Lawyers Association; Member, Maricopa County Bar Association; Member, American Bar Association; Member, International Trademark Association.
International Trademark Association (INTA), Committee Member, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, 2007-2009. Board of Directors, Raising Special Kids, 2003-2009. Treasurer, Executive Committee, Raising Special Kids, 2008. 2008 Athena Young Professional Award Nominee. 2007 AZ Finest Couple, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Clinical Externship as Clerk for Judge Rodney Sippel, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Missouri – St. Louis, Missouri.