Helen Schweitz is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group, where she focuses on technology transactions, data privacy and security, and trademarks. Her experience includes drafting and negotiating software, data, confidentiality, research, reseller, development, and settlement agreements.
Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, Helen spent several years with a Fortune 100 insurance company, where she drafted and negotiated sophisticated technology and procurement contracts and counseled internal clients on a variety of legal issues, including corporate strategy, technology, “connected car” matters, roadside services, and marketing.
Helen lived in Japan for a number of years and is conversational in Japanese.
Her experience includes:
- Drafting and negotiating software license, software-as-a-service (SaaS), and information technology service agreements.
- Developing template agreements (e.g., software license agreements; SaaS agreements; various services agreements; software and hardware evaluation agreements).
- Leading an enterprise-wide effort to develop and implement modernized confidentiality agreement templates and process; training paralegals and law clerks to take greater role in the review and management of confidentiality agreements.
- Implementing processes and procedures for the in-house review of open source software licenses.
- Drafting click-wrap terms of service for mobile and web applications.
- Drafting cease and desist letters addressing trademark infringement and related issues.
- Drafting and negotiating license agreements for copyrighted publications.
Education and Honors
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 2012)
- Certificate of Merit (Outstanding Achievement in Trademark Law)
- International Trademark Association Moot Court Team (2009-2011)
- Clinical Law Program (Fall 2010)
- Human Trafficking Clinic (Summer 2010)
- Earlham College (B.A., 2007)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts (Associate Board Member and Volunteer Attorney)
- Legal Prep Charter Academy (Guest Instructor)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (Member and Session Coordinator for General Counsel Institute, November 2015)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (Former Member)