Jack Cook, the National Practice Group Chair for Quarles & Brady’s Intellectual Property Group, works with clients to build intellectual property strategies that align with each client's business objectives. In his practice, Jack provides advice and counsel across a broad range of intellectual property issues, emphasizing patent prosecution, IP licensing, patent litigation, and data security.
Jack provides guidance to clients in the development and management of complex patent portfolios. He has worked from concept inception to large scale implementation, and every step in between, to protect, manage, license, and enforce IP assets for clients that include corporate developers and manufacturers, as well as world-renowned academic research and healthcare institutions.
An important aspect of the business-focused IP strategies that Jack develops with clients falls in the areas of licensing (both in-licensing and out-licensing transactions), litigation defense, and enforcement. He has extensive experience working within the medical-device and high-tech industries, and uses his knowledge of industry and competitive landscapes to counsel clients during large transactions and litigation. Jack is a current team member and former chair of the firm's Research Institutions & Higher Education Industry Team, a sector where Jack and other talented Quarles & Brady attorneys are currently working with some of the foremost research and higher education institution in the U.S and internationally. Jack works closely with many highly-successful academic and healthcare technology transfer offices to develop IP strategies that have proven to deliver exceptional returns for the clients.
Jack is also a member of the Quarles & Brady Data Privacy and Security Team and the firm's Corporate Venturing Team. His background in electrical and computer engineering, along with his industry experience in the power industry, and extensive work with the medical and high-tech industries, are assets he routinely leverages for the benefit of his clients. For example, when a potential data security incident arises, Jack works closely with management and forensic experts to quickly assess and control the incident, while adeptly communicating the analysis and risks to management in terms of their business operations.
- Working with research institutions to build large portfolios of IP assets for licensing, to structure investment and entity formation agreements, and other business transactions.
- Assisting clients in the medical device and high-tech industries with large transactions that involve or are driven by IP assets, including licensing, joint ventures, and acquisitions and divestitures.
- Assisting clients with IP strategies and portfolio development for complex technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and other medical imaging modalities.
- Developing and implementing IP enforcement strategies, including patent licensing and litigation.
- Assessing and implementing defenses to allegations of IP infringement, including negotiations, litigation, and administrative proceedings, such as inter partes reviews (IPRs) and covered-business method (CBM) reviews.
- Assisting with technical guidance related to data breaches and potential data security and privacy issues.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Data Privacy & Security
- Higher Education
- Business Law
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2004)
- Michigan Technological University (B.S.E.E., cum laude, 2001)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin (Past Board Member, Volunteer)
- Named a "2012 Up and Coming Lawyer" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Selected for inclusion in the Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2009, 2013-present (Intellectual Property)