Jack Cook, the National Practice Group Chair for Quarles & Brady’s Intellectual Property Group, works with clients to build business strategies that maximize commercial value for their intellectual property assets. He assists large national and international corporations, research institutions, and other IP owners and developers with a broad range of intellectual property issues, emphasizing patent prosecution, IP licensing, patent litigation, and data security.
Jack develops and manages large patent portfolios and counsels clients on strategies for aligning the patent portfolios with business objectives. Jack is a team member and former chair of the firm's Research Institutions & Higher Education Industry Team, which focuses on a signature practice area of the firm due to the noteworthy strength of its practitioners.
Jack is known for considering the business concerns of each client when developing viable strategies that touch on all aspects of IP. An important aspect of the business-focused IP strategies that Jack develops with clients is licensing transactions (both in-licensing and out-licensing transactions), and litigation defense and enforcement. He has experience working within the medical-device and high-tech industries, and uses his knowledge of industry and competitive landscapes to counsel clients during large transactions and litigation.
A member of the Quarles & Brady Data Privacy and Security Team, he relies on his background in electrical and computer engineering, industry experience in the power industry, and extensive work with the medical and high-tech industries to best serve his clients' needs. When a potential data security incident arises, Jack works closely with forensic experts to quickly understand and control the incident, and communicate the analysis and risks to management and executives in understandable business terms.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Data Privacy & Security
- Higher Education
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2004)
- Michigan Technological University (B.S.E.E., cum laude, 2001)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Named a "2012 Up and Coming Lawyer" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Selected for inclusion in the Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2009, 2013-present (Intellectual Property)