James L. Ugalde is an attorney in the Commercial Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors' Rights Group. He focuses his practice on the representation of creditors in bankruptcy proceedings and on the enforcement of creditors' rights through nonjudicial trustee's sales, and receivership and deficiency actions. Mr. Ugalde also routinely advises commercial landlords regarding their contractual and statutory rights, including enforcing such rights through eviction actions and lockouts. Representative cases include the following
- Assisted lender that foreclosed on commercial property with forcible detainer action to remove a national retail boat dealership, involving bankruptcy court litigation and requiring numerous sheriff's deputies to assist with takeover of commercial property.
- Assisted landlord with trial to evict operating fitness gym from multiple locations.
- Representation of licensee holder of FCC licenses in contested bankruptcy proceedings to protect licensee holder's interests.
- Successfully litigated stay relief and plan confirmation issues in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases involving operating businesses and commercial real estate projects.
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona University (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
- Pedrick Scholar (Dean's List)
- Arizona State University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1999)
- Major: International/Global Business
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society Collegiate Schools of Business
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2003
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- City of Chandler, Arizona (Chairman of Board of Adjustment)
- Habitat for Humanity – Central Arizona (Member of Public Relations & Marketing Committee)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program of Maricopa County (Volunteer)
- Turnaround Management Association (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in the Southwest Super Lawyers® -Rising Stars 2012–2014 Editions (Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights)