James Ullman is a franchise attorney in the firm’s Corporate Services Group. He has more than 38 years of experience as an attorney and focuses his practice on franchising, licensing, distribution and intellectual property law. Mr. Ullman has held leadership roles in several education organizations and public boards and has been listed as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” for 17 consecutive years.
Education and Honors
- State University of New York at Buffalo (J.D., 1971)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1968)
New York (inactive),
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
U.S. Supreme Court
- Received M&A Deal of the Year Award from Latin Lawyer Magazine, 2008.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1995-present: Franchise Law).
- Selected for inclusion since 2007 in Southwest Super Lawyers® lists (Franchise/Dealership) and named among the Top 50 attorneys in Arizona (2012 and 2013).
- Selected, Arizona’s Finest Lawyers, 2011.
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award as Outstanding State Education Board Member, National Association of State Board of Education, 1996.
- Selected as a top 100 franchise law attorney nationwide Franchise Times, April 2004.
- Received, “Best of the Bar Award,” Business Journal (2005: Franchising & Licensing).
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Board of Education (Member, 1991-1997; President 1995).
- Community Colleges of Arizona (Member, State Board of Directors 1990-1997; Chairman 1995).
- American Arbitration Association (Member, Panel of Arbitrators 1992-present).
- American Bar Association (Member, Forum Committee on Franchising 1982-present).
- State Bar of Arizona (Chairperson, Seminars on Franchising 1987, 1989).
- National Organization on Legal Problem of Education (1992) now Education Law Association (President).
- Citizenship Counts, Inc. (Treasurer, 2008-present).