300 N. LaSalle Street
Janine Landow-Esser, a partner with Quarles & Brady, concentrates her practice in environmental and OSHA law. Ms. Landow-Esser advises buyers, sellers and lenders in environmental aspects of various transactions, and represents manufacturers and other regulated entities on environmental and OSHA compliance issues. She also handles issues relating to brownfields, environmental audits and insurance coverage matters.
Ms. Landow-Esser has extensive experience before state and federal agencies and administrative bodies, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and various state regulatory bodies throughout the United States. Prior to entering the private practice of law, Ms. Landow-Esser served with the U.S. Department of Energy (“DOE”) in Washington D.C. where she developed her expertise in environmental legislation and contracts, and successfully moved matters through regulatory agencies. She was responsible for supervising DOE compliance with environmental laws and regulations and responding to environmental policy initiatives. Ms. Landow-Esser also served as one of the United States’ representatives to the International Energy Agency.
From 1991-1992, Ms. Landow-Esser was Chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. She frequently speaks and writes on environmental, OSHA and insurance topics and has made numerous presentations to industry associations on topics such as insurance claims and coverage, litigation management, and state voluntary cleanup programs. Ms. Landow-Esser also has authored numerous articles on environmental, insurance and OSHA regulatory issues.Representative Environmental Experience:
- Use of innovative trusts, annuities and insurance to facilitate transfer of corporate assets without environmental liabilities. (Florida)
- Defense of Clean Air Act Prevention of Significant Deterioration and Major Source Permit enforcement actions. (Illinois)
- Obtain Adjusted Clean Air Act Standard. (Illinois)
- Negotiation of manuscript pollution legal liability, cost cap, mold, and lender environmental insurance policies. (Illinois, California, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc.)
- Negotiation of the sale of air emission credits. (Illinois)
- Successful management of properties through various state voluntary and mandatory cleanup programs. (Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, New York, Texas, Arizona, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc.)
- Defense of USEPA corrective action enforcement under Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. (Illinois and Indiana)
- Negotiation of issuance and withdrawal of Clean Water Act permits for fill of wetlands. (Illinois)
- Representation of numerous clients under state and federal Superfund statutes for investigation, remediation, and consent orders involving soil and groundwater contamination. (Illinois, Kansas, Florida, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc.)
- Representation of clients in connection with TSCA and FIFRA reporting; registration, and enforcement matters.
Representative OSHA Experience:
- Investigation of employee death and resolution of OSHA citation involving electrical and lockout/tagout regulations. (Florida)
- Investigation of employee death and resolution of OSHA citation involving explosion and fire. (Iowa)
- Settlement of OSHA investigation concerning possible employee exposure to chemical vapors. (Ohio)
- Investigation and resolution of OSHA repeat citation involving limb amputation in conveyor mechanism. (Illinois)
- Settlement of numerous OSHA citations involving asbestos training, removal, and operation and maintenance. (Illinois and Ohio)
- Investigation of ergonomic issues and response to OSHA on behalf of numerous hospitals, nursing homes and health care facilities. (National)
Education and Honors
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 1976)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1973)
District of Columbia,
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer for Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources, selected by American Lawyer Magazines.
- Named a Power 100 Advocate by On Being a Black Lawyer (OBABL, 2013).
- Received the President’s Lifetime Volunteer Service Award in partnership with Keep Chicago Beautiful (2012).
- Selected as a 2012 “Chicago Women in Law: Women Making an Impact” by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007-present: Environmental Law).
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2013: Environment: Mainly Transactional).
- Selected for inclusion in the 2009 “Top 50 Women Lawyers in Illinois” list by Super Lawyers®.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006-2013 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists (Environmental Law).
- Who’s Who in American Law.
- Recognized by peers in a statewide survey as a Leading Environmental Lawyer.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- 2011 Chicago United Ambassador Award.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Keep Chicago Beautiful (Board of Directors).
- Anshe Emet Hunger Task Force (Chair).
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee (Co-chair).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Chicago Bar Association (Member; Chair, Environmental Law Committee, 1991-1992).
- Leading Lawyers Network (Member).
- National Brownfield Association (Legislative & Policy Co-chair, Illinois Chapter, 2004-2009).
- American Jewish Congress (President, Midwest Region, 2001-2004).
- “Building upon the innovations of yesterday’s and today’s law firm,” Chicago Lawyer, February 29, 2008.
- “Innovation goes hand-in-hand with client services," Chicago Lawyer, February 29, 2008.
- Crain’s Chicago Business, February 18, 2008.
Featured in Articles:
- Featured, “Quarles firm honored for its work with homeless,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, May 28, 2010.
- Featured, “Quarles partner joins ‘green’ non-profit,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 12, 2010.
- Featured, “Environmental Stewardship in Heart and Hearth,” Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, January 2010.
- Janine Landow-Esser and Adam Falkof authored chapters on Environmental Compliance Programs and OSHA Compliance Programs for the Corporate Legal Compliance Handbook, Second Edition 2012, published by Wolters Kluwer.
- “Cooper v. Aviall Upsets Superfund Law,” Brownfields Bulletin, November 2005.
- Co-author, “After the Storm: New EPA Regulations Impose Costly Requirements on Builders, Industry, and Municipalities,” Chicago Industrial Properties, February 2005.
- Co-author, “Bridging the GAP: Thoughts on Environmental Accounting,” Brownfield News, November/December 2002.
- “Contracts to Keep Deals Alive,” Brownfield News, January/February 2002.
- “While the Buyer Must Still Beware, Environmental Insurance May Provide What it Takes to Get Your Deal Closed,” Corporate Real Estate Executive, October 2001.
- “OSHA’s Proposed Ergonomics Standard: Why You Shouldn't Play the Waiting Game,” Opus Communications, January 2000.
- “Environmental and Contracting Issues in Municipal Wastewater Treatment Outsourcing,” America’s Water and Wastewater Industries, January 2000.
- “It's Too Soon to Tell if PLI Can Reduce Disputes,” The National Law Journal, January 25, 1999.
- “OSHA Compliance and Regulations,” Amerra Health Services, Inc.
- “Closing the Deal in the Face of Environmental Contamination,” Practical Real Estate Lawyer, July 1998.
- “New Era for Responding to Environmental Risks in Real Estate Transactions,” Office and Industrial Properties,
- “Environmental Due Diligence: How to Obtain and Interpret Information, Part I; The Buyer's Perspective, Part II,” Real Estate Environmental Liability News, March 1998.
- “Environmental Compliance Audits: A Tool To Manage Your Company’s Regulatory Obligations,” Real Estate Environmental Liability News, February 1998.
- “Drafting the Best Possible Outsourcing Contract,” for the publication’s Municipal Water/Wastewater Guide,” American City & County, October 1997.
- “Federal Overfiling as a Trap for Unwary State Settlors,” Illinois State Bar Association, Environmental Law Newsletter, September 1997.
- Letter to Editor, “Overfile Threat is Not Idle in Environmental Self-Audits,” U.S. Business Litigation, July 1997.
- “Guidelines: Contracting with an Environmental Consultant,” AECRE Newsletter, Corporate Real Estate and the Law, Winter 1996.
- “Sauk County Landfill Superfund Settlement,” American City & County, August 1993.
- “Insurance Coverage for Environmental Claims,” Corporate Real Estate Executive, September 1992.
- “How to Insure Against Environmental Liability and Losses,” The Mortgage and Real Estate Executives Report, August 1992.
- “Insurance Coverage For Environmental Claims,” Journal of Property Management, May/June 1992.
- “Who Pays for Environmental Change?,” American City & County, April 1992.
- “Audits and Accounting,” Illinois CPA Society, Insight, August 1991.
- “Planning for and Avoiding EPA Enforcement Under the Clean Water Act,” Government Finance Research Center, November 1986.
- Contributor, “Aviall Throws Wrench in Environmental Cleanup Machine,” Chicago Lawyer, May 2005.
- Contributor, “How to Comply with OSHA’s Rules for Giving Physicians Access to Exposure and Medical Records,” Credentialing & Peer Review/Legal Insider, August 2003.
- Contributor, “How to Comply with OSHA’s Rules for Giving Employees Access to Medical and Exposure Records,” OSHA Compliance Insider for Health Care Facilities, August 2003.
- Board of Advisors, OSHA Compliance Insider for Health Care Facilities, Brownstone Publishers, Inc.
- Contributor, “How to Get an Extension for Correcting OSHA Violations,” Laboratory Compliance Insider,
- “How to Get an Extension for Correcting OSHA Violations,” Laboratory Compliance Insider, August 2002.
- “Getting the Green Light: Consultants Expedite Environmental Tasks,” Plants, Site and Parks, January 2000.
- “Bond Sticking to Ergonomics Standard Opposition,” Opus Communications, December 1999.
- Environmental Law Section of the Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyer Section’s Guide to the Chicago Job Market, 1992 & 1998.
- “Making the Grade: Companies Ponder Environmental State of the States,” Plants, Sites & Parks, November/December 1997.
- “Practice Points,” Environmental Compliance & Litigation Strategy, November 1997.
- “Garbage Disposal: Fields of Dregs Save Dollars, Make Sense,” Plant Sites & Parks, March/April 1997.
- Lender Liability to Illinois Institute for CLE/CBA’s Commercial Finance and Transactions Committee Advanced Commercial Finance and Creditors’ Rights in Illinois, 1993 & 1996.
- “Waste From Manufacturing Plants,” Waste Age, September 1993.
- “Environmental Liability Weighs Heavily On Minds of Property Owners,” National Real Estate Investor, August 1993.
- “The Thin Green Line: Thinking Environmental,” Midwest Real Estate News, August 1993.
- “Business Still Stinks,” Merrill’s Illinois Legal Times, July 1993.
- “Facing Environmental Liabilities in Business Transactions,” The DuPont Company’s Environmental Currents, December 1992.
- “Consultants Partnering With Real Estate to Write Environmental Success Stories,” Site Selection, June 1992.
- “Environmental Audits and Expertise Have Become Industry Necessities,” National Real Estate Investor,
- Co-presenter (with Fred Gants), “OSHA Recordkeeping,” Bongarde Webinar, September 2011.
- “I2P2 - Illness and Injury Prevention Program,” Bongarde company webinar, October 27, 2010.
- “Hot Topics in Environmental Law,” Chicago Bar Association seminar, March 17, 2010.
- “Rainmaking and Business Development for Women,” HB Litigation Conferences, June 25, 2009.
- “Impact of the Supreme Court’s Decision in Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Ry. v. United States: Apportionment After Burlington,” Chicago Bar Association Environmental Law Committee seminar, June 2009.
- “Pitfalls for Prospective Purchasers of Brownfields: The Aftermath Cooper Industries, Inc. v. Aviall Services, Inc.,” Chicago Bar Association’s Brownfields Seminar, March 2006.
- “Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation in Illinois,” Lorman Education Services, December 2004.
- “Brownfield Redevelopment Case Update,” 2004 Illinois Environmental Conference, Evolutions in Environmental Law and Policy, October 7-8, 2004.
- “Current State and Federal Regulations with Respect to Mold,” Lorman Education Services Conference on Solving Water Intrusion and Mold Problems in Illinois, July 18, 2002.
- “OSHA Current Events,” Quarles & Brady LLP Labor & Employment Law Symposium, June 2002.
- “Guidelines for Response to OSHA Inspections,” MultiCare Professional Services Workshop, 1997.
- “How to Manage the Agency Inspection - Practical Tips to Limit Your Exposure,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois, Environmental Enforcement in Illinois, June 1999.
- “Creative Solutions to Environmentally-Challenged Properties,” ENSR Corporation, May 1999.
- “Contract Considerations for Environmental Professionals,” Carnow, Conibear & Associates, December 1998.
- “OSHA Compliance and Regulations,” Amerra Health Services, Inc., July 1998.
- “Guidelines for Response to OSHA Inspections,” Multicare Divisional Nursing Management Conference,
- “Current Issues in Environmental Law,” National Equity Fund/Local Initiatives Support Corporation Annual Meeting, July 1997.
- “Environmental Issues Affecting Acquisitions,” ECM Motor Company, May 1997.
- “Cleaning Up Brownfields & Blight: What Does it Take?” Government Finance Officers Association Annual Conference, May 1996.
- “Selection of Litigation Counsel and Preparation of Litigation Budgets,” Corporate Legal Times Litigation Management Seminar, April 1996.
- “National Perspective on State Voluntary Cleanup Programs,” Midwest Environmental Corporate Counsel Association Meeting, November 1995.
- “The Brownfields Problem,” American Corporate Counsel Association's Annual Meeting, Corporate Counsel University, November 1995.
- “Environmental Considerations for Trustees, Fiduciaries and Lenders,” Trust Users Group Footprints to Success Seminar, September 1995.
- “Strategies for Minimizing Environmental Risks in Property Transfer,” Holleb & Coff Strategies for Corporate Counsel Seminar, June 1995.
- “Environmental Risks and Estate Planning,” Quad City Estate Planning Council, September 1994.
- “Environmental, Safety and Health Current Issues,” BTR Inc. Environmental Seminar, June 1994.
- “Current Environmental Issues Affecting Businesses,” Holleb & Coff Breakfast Seminar Series, March 1994.
- “Environmental Issues for Lenders,” American National Bank, January 1994.
- “The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act: An Introduction For Generators of Hazardous Wastes,” Northbrook Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Environmental Seminar, July 1993.
- “Current Environmental Issues Affecting Businesses,” FKI Industries Environmental Safety & Health Seminar,
- “Lender/Trustee Liability,” CBA/CLE Fourth Annual Commercial Finance and Transactions Update Seminar,
- “Breaking the Glass Ceiling Roundtable Discussion,” Today's Chicago Woman, March 1993.
- “Property Transfer Issues and Government Clean-up Orders,” Illinois Manufacturers Association Fifth Annual Environmental Compliance Conference and Exhibition, October 1992.
- “State Regulatory Requirements Impacting Real Estate Transactions” and “Emergency Release Reporting Requirements,” Resolution Trust Corporation Environmental Training Workshop, September 1992.
- “Basics of Chemistry Through Field Demonstration of Sampling Equipment,” Environmental Law Committee of the Chicago Bar Association’s Science for Lawyer’s Seminar Series, July/August 1992.
- “OSHA Bloodborne Diseases,” Medical Business Consultants, July 1992.
- “OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Regulations,” Illinois Nursing Home Administrators Association Spring Conference, May 1992.
- “Property/Business Transfer and Liabilities,” Institute for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits’ Surface Treatment Enhancement Council Management Seminar, April 1992.
- “Negotiating and Litigating Against Third Parties and Governmental Entities.”
- International City/County Management Association Programs for the Environment Series. Superfund: Strategic Advice for Local Officials, May 1992.
- “Current Environmental and OSHA Issues,” Holleb & Coff Breakfast Seminar Series, March 1992.
- “Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Overview and Developments,” Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc., Annual Convention, March 1992.
- “Update on Environmental Issues and Lender Liability,” Illinois State Bar Association Law Ed Series - Commercial, Banking and Bankruptcy, January 1992.
- “Environmental Roundtable,” Midwest Real Estate News, January 1992.
- “State and Federal Environmental Laws and Regulations Affecting Financial Institutions,” Chicagoland Compliance Association, October 1991.
- “A Practical Approach to the Legal Impact of Compliance,” Quanex Corporation, September 1991.
- “Local Governments and Federal Environmental Mandates - Who Pays?” Government Finance Officers Association Annual Conference, June 1991.
- “Environmental Law: The Effect on Land Use and Policy,” Association of Women in Real Estate Fifth Annual Symposium, May 1991.
- “Update on Environmental Issues and Lender Liability,” Illinois State Bar Association Law Ed Series - Commercial, Banking and Bankruptcy, Chicago and Bloomington, Illinois, May 1991.
- “Fiduciary and Trustee Liability Under Environmental Laws,” South Suburban Estate Planning Council, March 1991.
- “Environmental Concerns for Building/Property Owners, Landlords and Lenders,” Lakeview Developers Association, February 1991.
- “Understanding and Complying with Regulatory Aspects of Underground Storage Tanks,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education’s Seminar on Environmental Real Estate Issues in the 90’s, November 1990.
- “Environmental Issues of Concern to Land Trustees and Lenders,” Land Trust Council of Illinois, October 1990.
- “Environmental Aspects of Real Estate Transactions,” and “Trustee and Fiduciary Environmental Liabilities,” Stewart Title Guaranty Seminar, August 1990.