Jeffrey Davis practices in the area of commercial and appellate litigation. His practice has a particular substantive focus on insurance coverage litigation, and he is the current chair of the Firm's insurance recovery practice. He also has substantial experience and an ongoing practice in unfair competition litigation, such as employee non-compete and trade secrets cases. Mr. Davis' experiences and achievements in the past several years have included:
- Represented the insured in Plastics Engineering v. Liberty Mutual, 759 N.W.2d 613, 2009 WI 13, Wis., January 29, 2009 (NO. 2008AP333-CQ) in which following certification from the Seventh Circuit, the Wisconsin Supreme Court adopted an "all sums" allocation method and multiple occurrence theory, thereby allowing insureds to receive full defense and indemnity for "long tailed" or "progressive" injury claims.
- Represented the insured in Johnson Controls v. Employers Insurance of Wausau, 2003 WI 108, 264 Wis.2d 60, 665 N.W.2d 257 in which the Wisconsin Supreme Court overruled City of Edgerton v. General Casualty Co., thereby allowing insurance coverage for environmental liability.
- Represented the insured in Mikula v. Miller Brewing Co., 281 Wis.2d 712, 701 N.W.2d 613, 2005 WI App. 92 in which the appellate court established coverage for a premises owner for claims of its own alleged negligence under an "additional insured" endorsement.
- Represented the insured in Miller Brewing Co. v. ACE U.S. Holdings, 391 F.Supp.2d 735 (E.D. Wis. 2005) in which the court denied the insurers' motion to change venue to a more insurer-friendly forum despite an earlier filed action in such forum.
- Obtained substantial judgment for major manufacturing client in breach of contract action following three-day bench trial.
- Obtained summary judgments for various insured manufacturer clients in several multi-million dollar coverage disputes involving numerous commercial general liability policy issues arising out of asbestos and other products cases.
- Represented Harley-Davidson in Tietsworth v. Harley-Davidson 270 Wis.2d 146, 677 N.W.2d 233, 53 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 721, 2004 WI 32, Wis., March 26, 2004 (NO. 02-1034), wherein the Wisconsin Supreme Court reversed the Court of Appeals in a class action suit seeking damages based on a product's "propensity to fail."
- Lead counsel for Homeowners Association in a three week jury trial which resulted in a verdict for the HOA awarding title and attorneys' fees; upheld on appeal in Foxwood Estates Homeowners Ass'n v. Foxwood Estates, LLC, Case No. 2013AP1103 (Wis. App. 2015)
- Represented employers and employees in numerous contested restraining order and injunction hearings involving covenants not to compete and trade secret claims.
- Implemented employee covenant not to compete and trade secret protection programs for major corporate clients.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
Education and Honors
- Ohio State University–Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1987)
- Ohio State Law Journal (Member, 1986-1987).
- Miami University (B.S., 1984)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1988
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member; Bench Bar Committee, 1995-1997)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Treasurer, Appellate Practice Section, 2000-2002; State Bar Program Co-chair, 2001-2002; Chairperson-Elect, 2003; Chair, 2004-2005
- State Bar of Wisconsin High School Mock Trial Tournament (Milwaukee region, Co-coordinator, 1995-2009)
- Fox Point Foundation (Board Member, 1992-1997; Treasurer, 1995-1997)
- Fox Point Village Ethics Board (2005-2007)
- Fox Point Village Trustee (2007-2009)
- Named a 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-present: Insurance Law)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2016 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Business Litigation)