Jeff is an experienced trial lawyer and business advisor in the area of labor and employment law. Jeff advises clients on wage and hour compliance, reductions in force, enforcement of restrictive covenants, employment contracts and separation agreements, employee selection and discipline, WARN compliance, employment policies, internal investigations, and business transactions. He has spoken on several employment-related topics, including effective employment documentation, joint employer liability, sexual harassment, age and disability discrimination, social media, criminal background checks, and various legislative updates. Jeff defends employers in all types of employment litigation before federal and state courts and agencies. Jeff's recent significant litigation experience includes
- Obtaining a defense verdict in a federal jury trial in a race and age discrimination case for a national real estate company.
- Defeating a class certification motion on behalf of a Fortune 500 company in a case alleging race discrimination in promotions and compensation.
- Securing a temporary restraining order against a former sales representative who left a large pharmaceutical company to lead sales of a similar product at a principal competitor.
- Securing a preliminary injunction against a former engineer who left a parts manufacturer for a direct competitor.
- Obtaining dismissal of a race discrimination class action for a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer.
- Obtaining dismissal of a religious harassment claim for a national drug store chain.
- Successfully representing a large shipping company in labor arbitrations over employee discharges.
- Achieving reversal of adverse arbitration result in federal court on behalf of manufacturing client.
- Labor & Employment
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- ERISA Litigation
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
Education and Honors
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1991)
- University of Michigan (B.A., highest distinction, 1988)
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1991
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member, Equal Employment Opportunity Committee)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member, Labor and Employment Committee)
- University of Michigan Alumni Association Club of Greater Chicago (President, 2013–2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2014–present: Employment & Labor)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present: Arbitration / Mediation)
- Leading Lawyers Network member (Employment, Labor Law)
- Chambers USA® rating: characterized by sources as "very customer-oriented, responsive, proactive, technically strong and a great business partner."