Jeffrey B. Bartell practiced in the areas of corporate and securities law, insurance regulatory and administrative law and general business. He represented clients before federal courts and Wisconsin administrative agencies. Among his engagements:
- Represented the developer of a $200 million performing and visual arts center in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Represented a major Wisconsin life insurance company marketing credit life and disability insurance products.
- Represented Wisconsin’s largest writer of medical professional liability insurance.
- Represented a major privately held telecommunication firm.
- Advised and represented licensed securities broker-dealers and investment advisers.
- Represented subjects of regulatory investigations and actions by the Securities Division of the Wisconsin Division of Financial Institutions.
- Represented the Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance in a 10-year liquidation proceeding involving a large residential mortgage insurer.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1968)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., 1965)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1968
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1968
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1970
U.S. Supreme Court, 1971
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2003-present: Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions).
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1989-2011: Alternative Dispute Resolution/Corporate Law/
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006-2010 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Business/Corporate Law).
Professional and Civic Activities
Member, Securities & Exchange Commission Advisory Committee on Tender Offers, 1983; President and director, Wisconsin Law Alumni Association (1983-1991); Member: Dane County Bar Association; State Bar of Wisconsin (Director, 1983 and chair, 1990-1991, Section on Business Law; Member, Standing Committee on Business Corporation Law,
1990-1996); American Bar Association (Chairman, State Take-Over Laws Committee, 1986-1994); State Regulation of Securities Committee; Lecturer, Securities Regulation, University of Wisconsin, 1982, 1986, 1992; JAG-USAR (CPT-Ret.).
Client representations before state and federal courts and Wisconsin administrative agencies; Assistant Attorney General, Wisconsin Department of Justice, 1968-1971; Counsel and coordinator, Citizen Study Committee on Judicial Organization of Wisconsin, 1971-1972; Wisconsin Commissioner of Securities, 1972-1979; President, North American Securities Administrators Association, 1978-1979.
Madison Civic Center Endowment Fund Campaign (Chairman, 1992); Forward Wisconsin, Inc. (Officer and director,
1984-2006); Wisconsin Memorial Union (Trustee and council member, 1984-present/chairman 2002-2006); Wisconsin Foundation for the Arts (Chairman, 1990-present); United Way of Dane County (Campaign cabinet, 1992-1995);
Rotary Club of Madison (1979-present; Director, 1992-1993); Ten Chimneys Foundation (Director, 1997-2002); Wisconsin Artistic Endowment Foundation (Director, 2004-2005); Meriter Health Services, Inc. and Meriter Hospital, Inc. (Director, 2000-present); Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center (Director, 2004-present); Overture Development Corporation (Director, 1998-2006); Mayor’s Downtown Hotel Feasibility Study Committee (Member, 2008-present); University of Wisconsin Board of Regents (2006-present); Higher Educational Aids Board (Member, 2008-present).