Jennifer Hennessy is an attorney in the firm's Health Law Practice Group. Her practice includes advising clients in the areas of data privacy and security, FDA regulatory compliance, and general health care compliance.
Jennifer advises businesses around the country on compliance with state and federal data privacy and security laws. She assists covered entities and business associates in complying with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules, and also advises businesses and individuals on compliance with state data privacy laws and federal law 42 C.F.R. Part 2, Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Records. She frequently guides clients through the entire breach notification process, from the early stages of the investigation to the notification of affected individuals and state and federal government regulators. Her depth of experience in this area allows her to provide clients with practical and business-oriented solutions in the event of a breach and in its aftermath.
In the area of FDA regulatory compliance, Jennifer has assisted many clients on the full range of FDA compliance issues, from determining if a particular product is regulated by FDA, to registering and listing with FDA, to ensuring an organization's policies and procedures meet FDA requirements.
Jennifer also advises health care providers on a wide variety of other regulatory compliance issues, including medical record documentation and informed consent, guardianship and protective placement, EMTALA, fraud and abuse (including the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute), clinical trials compliance, compliance with state pharmacy laws, changes of ownership, and contract issues, among others.
Jennifer worked in a long-term care facility and at a large research institution before attending law school, and has firsthand experience with some of the issues that face businesses functioning in the health care space.
- Health & Life Sciences
- Data Privacy & Security
- Hospitals & Health Systems
- Health Information Technology, Privacy & Security
- FDA Regulatory Practice
Education and Honors
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with distinction, 2011)
- Iowa Law Review (Senior Note & Comment Editor)
- The University of Iowa – Henry B. Tippie College of Business (M.B.A., 2011)
- University of Iowa (B.S., highest distinction, 2007)
- Major: Political Science. Minor: Business Administration and Spanish
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member of Health Law Section)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member)
- The Perinatal Foundation (Board of Directors, 2013-2016)