Jessica Franken, who leads the Commercial Transactions team, is an experienced transactional lawyer who works with companies to protect their intellectual property, acquire and license technology, and develop, protect, and monetize data. She advises companies on data privacy and security issues that are fast becoming a critical issue for businesses to manage. She also provides strategic business counseling to companies of various sizes from start-ups to large corporations, and delivers advice that is practical and tailored to each client.
Jessica also has experience advising employers on the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants, employee terminations, investigations, and employer policies and on compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws.
Jessica spent over 10 years working inside corporations. She was an in-house attorney for Honeywell for eight years, negotiating international transactions, license agreements, and supply agreements and providing counsel to human resources. During the next several years, she was an officer and executive for a national construction company, with responsibility for the human resources function and communication in addition to handling legal matters. Since returning to private practice, she has served clients in the technology, healthcare and manufacturing industries among others.
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., high distinction, 1987)
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Arizona Law Review
- Arizona State University (M.A., summa cum laude, 1984)
- University of Arizona (B.A., high distinction, 1981)
- Colorado (inactive)
Professional and Civic Activities
- The International Technology Law Association (North American Conference Chair, 2015)
- International Technology Law Association (iTech) (International Women's Committee Member; 2015 Annual Conference Planning Committee Member)
- Present Music (Board of Directors, 2015)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- State Bar of Arizona (Member, Intellectual Property Division)
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors, 2010–2012; Executive Committee, 2011–2012)
- American Corporate Counsel Association (Former Member; Founding Member, Arizona Chapter)
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William Copple, Federal District Court for the District of Arizona
- Named among the 25 outstanding Women in Business by the Phoenix Business Journal, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated