Jessica Lin Lewis is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Group. Her experience includes drafting and prosecuting U.S., PCT, and foreign patent applications in a wide variety of technologies, including medical devices, plant biotechnology, microbiology, immunology, stem cells, transgenic organisms, genetics and disease diagnostics, food formulations, nutraceuticals, and pharmaceuticals.
Dr. Lewis also has experience in biofuels, including
- Drafting platform technology applications related to producing market-competitive levels of biofuel components using high light-tolerant and halo-tolerant cyanobacteria.
- Drafting and prosecution experience with technology for treating waste streams and producing biomass using high pH-tolerant and high CO2-tolerant strains of algae.
- Drafting and prosecution experience with improved plant-based gene expression systems.
- Drafting and prosecution experience with various transgenic plant-related technologies (e.g., duckweed, tobacco, corn).
Education and Honors
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2008)
- Intellectual Property Society (Member)
- University of Washington (Ph.D., 2005)
- Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology; Doctoral Dissertation: Reiterated Signal Transduction Pathways and Development of Zebrafish Neural Crest
- Fellowship: Developmental Biology Training Grant
- Student Representative for the Molecular and Cellular Biology Program Steering Committee.
- Teaching Assistant for an upper-level undergraduate cellular biology course in the Department of Zoology
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., 1998)
- Major: Zoology.
- "Outstanding Achievement in a Senior Thesis"
- Research Technician in the Department of Physiology and Grantee: National Science Foundation Undergraduate Supplemental Research Grantthe Department of Veterinary Science
- Research Technician in the Department of Physiology and the Department of Veterinary Science.
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2010
Professional and Civic Activities
- State of Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Member)
- North Carolina State Bar Association (Member)
- Fetch Wisconsin Rescue, Inc. (Board of Directors)
- Featured, "Quarles Attorney Lewis Paves Path From Lab to Courtroom," Wisconsin Law Journal, February 1, 2013
- Author, "Predicting the Judicial Response to an Asserted Right to Reproductive Cloning," Journal of Legal Medicine, vol. 29 (2008)
- Co-author. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development vol. 131 no. 6) pp. 1299–1308 (2004)
- Co-author. "Real-time Visualization of Mycobacterium-Macrophage Interactions Leading to Initiation of Granuloma Formation in Zebrafish Embryos," Immunity, vol. 17: pp. 693–702 (2002)
- Co-author, "The Transmembrane Domain of Syntaxin 1A is Critical for Cytoplasmic Domain Protein-Protein nteractions," Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276 no. 18, pp. 15458–15465