411 East Wisconsin Avenue
One Renaissance Square
Two North Central Avenue
Jessica Franken is an experienced transactional lawyer and business executive who works with companies to protect their intellectual property and acquire and license technology. She also has experience advising employers on the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants, employee terminations, investigations, employer policies and compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws.
Ms. Franken spent over 10 years of her career working inside corporations. She was an attorney for Honeywell for eight years, negotiating international transactions, license agreements and supply agreements and providing counsel to Human Resources. During the next several years, she was an officer and executive for a national construction company with responsibility for the Human Resources function and communication. Since returning to private practice, she has served clients in the technology and healthcare industries, among others.
- Counseling clients on protecting their intellectual property both nationally and internationally.
- Counseling companies in the development and protection of technology assets and trade secrets.
- Assisting clients with the launch of internet-based businesses and data centers.
- Negotiating and drafting a variety of agreements, including license agreements, supply agreements, consulting agreements and joint development agreements for healthcare and manufacturing companies.
- Developing standard contracts, procedures for review and negotiation positions, and providing the associated training.
- Representing technology companies in the purchase and sale of intellectual property assets.
- Representing an executive in an inevitable disclosure dispute resulting from a move to a competing Fortune 100 company.
- Representing employers in employee discrimination claims and counseling employers in preventing and resolving employee claims.
- Harmonizing the Ethics and Compliance program for an international company with multiple U.S. locations and training U.S. and European employees.
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., high distinction, 1987)
- Arizona State University (M.A., summa cum laude, 1984)
- University of Arizona (B.A., with honors and high distinction, 1981)
Named among the 25 outstanding Women in Business by The Business Journal of Phoenix, 2009
Peer Review Rated.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William Copple, Federal District Court for the District of Arizona.
- State Bar of Arizona (Member, Intellectual Property Division).
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors, 2010-2012; Executive Committee, 2011-2012).
- American Corporate Counsel Association (Former Member; Arizona Chapter, Founding Member).
- International Technology Law Association (iTech) (Member).
- Arizona State University College of Public Programs Dean's Council (Member, 2003-2005).
- Author, “Advice in the Wake of Heartbleed,” Middle-Market Legal Toolbox Blog, April 9, 2014.
- Presenter, “The Status of E-Commerce,” International Technology Law Association, May 2, 2013.
- Presenter, “Don’t Lose your Head in the Cloud - Leveraging the Power of the Cloud to Run Your Law Firm and the Legal and Ethical Risks for Attorneys Using Cloud Computing,” State Bar of Arizona Convention, June 22, 2012.
- Co-presenter, “Ethical Considerations of Social Media,” Q&B Sixth Annual Specialized CLE for In-House Counsel, June 21, 2012.
- Presenter, “Going to the Cloud? Legal and Ethical Considerations,” June 2011.
- Presenter, “Cloud Computing: The High-Level Pros and Cons,” Quarles & Brady Business Law Training, April 14, 2011.
- Co-presenter, “How to Avoid Giving Away the Shop Without Knowing It,” Q&B Fifth Annual Specialized CLE for In-House Counsel, June 2011.
- Presenter, “Great Idea! Now What?,” Arizona Inventors Association, December 2009.
- Co-author (with Amy Cotton), “Great Debate,” Tech Connect (published by the Arizona Technology Council), November 2009.
- Presenter, “Technology Licensing: From the Idea to the Signed Contract,” July 2009.
- Presenter, “Preventing Harassment in the Workplace,” July 2009.
- Co-presenter, “How to Work Effectively With Your Outside Counsel - How to Get More Bang for the Buck,” June 2009.
- Co-Presenter, “Dealing with Distressed Customers and Suppliers in the Technology Industry,” February 2009.
- Presenter, “The Role of In-House Counsel in Corporate Ethics Programs,” June 2008.
- Presenter, “Ethical & Privilege Dilemmas of Corporate Counsel,” June 2007.