135 N. Pennsylvania Street
Joel Tragesser practices in the areas of trademark law and brand management, intellectual property licensing, and business intellectual property litigation. His work includes prosecuting trademark applications in the United States and foreign countries, drafting software licenses and litigating infringement, false advertising, unfair competition and business disputes. Tragesser represents clients in state and federal courts and often speaks on the interrelation of technology and intellectual property.
Education and Honors
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D., 1997)
- Wabash College (A.B., magna cum laude, 1994)
Phi Beta Kappa.
Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®
2009, 2011-2014 Editions.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Lung Association, Indiana's Evening of Promise Gala Executive Leadership Team.
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Sports & Entertainment Section (2014 Co-Chair).
- Indiana State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section (2011-12 Chair).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- International Trademark Association (Member).
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association (Member).
- Phi Beta Kappa’s Alpha Association of Indiana, Treasurer (Recipient of a 2009 Outstanding Association Award).
- Indianapolis Alumni Chapter of Sigma Chi (Member).
- Franklin Pierce Law Center Advanced Licensing Institute (2002).
- Genesis Church.
- Mission Uprising.
- “On the Move - New Associations,” Indiana Lawyer, June 4, 2014.
- “Tragesser to be partner at law office,” Kokomo Tribune, May 25, 2014.
- “Tragesser becomes partner at law firm,” Current In Westfield, May 20, 2014.
- "Ethics for Intellectual Property Attorneys: The Internet, Blogs and Social Networking,” Indianapolis Bar Association, December 2013.
- "‘Measuring’ Advertising to Avoid Legal Problems,” Indiana Builders News, July-August 2012.
- “Protecting Your IP,” RF Alliance’s Small Business Innovative Opportunities Seminar, April 2011.
- “Emergency or Injunctive Litigation in Motorsports,” The Racing Attorney Conference (“TRAC”), Panelist, April 2011.
- “What You Need to Know About Networking,” Indianapolis Bar Association, panel at Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, March 2011.
- “Intellectual Property Considerations & Practice,” Wabash College Business Immersion Program, 2006–2010.
- “Are There Rules or Policies Addressing Whether Patent Litigation Should Be Stayed Pending a Reexamination?” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum’s Midwest IP Symposium, November 2009.
- “Defining Electronic Discovery,” National Business Institute, November 2009.
- “Commercial Litigation in the United States,” Vinge law firm (Malmo, Sweden), October 2009.
- “Protecting the Business and Intellectual Property,” Inventrek’s FastTrac, June 2009.
- “Rationalizing the CAFC’s Inequitable Conduct Decisions of 2008 (Comparing Star Scientific and Eisai with Nilssen and Aventis),” Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association, May 2009.
- “Ethical Issues in Intellectual Property,” Indianapolis Bar Association, December 2008.
- “Business Litigation - Current Topics,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum’s 19th Annual Year in Review, December 2008.
- “Current Developments in Copyright Law,” Indiana State Bar Annual Meeting, October 2007.
- “Counterfeiting: A Very Real Issue,” Indiana CPA Society’s Anti-Fraud Conference, August 2007.
- “E-Contracts,” Business Contract Drafting Skills Seminar, ICLEF, September 2005.
- “Licensing and Transferring Rights to Technology,” Second Annual Entrepreneurship and Technology Conference, October 2002.
- “Intellectual Property Rights,” First Annual Entrepreneurship and Technology Conference, December 2001.
- “Admissibility of Web-Intercept Surveys,” CLE Seminar, Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association, November 2001.
- "Dot-com Lawsuit Lets Legal Eagle Take Flight", Indianapolis Business Journal, October 2000.