John Robison's practice focuses on privately held businesses, with an emphasis on business transactions, taxation, and health care. He has extensive experience with business matters, including business formations, choice of entity, executive employment contracts and incentives, contracts for the purchase and sale of goods or services, sales and distribution, licensing, leases, investment agreements, owner (buy-sell) agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures.
Mr. Robison has formed and represented all types of entities, such as C corporations, S corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and general partnerships, as well as tax-exempt entities, and has represented a wide array of businesses, such as manufacturing, retail, food service, physician services, direct marketing, and high-tech. His recent experience includes
- Representation of a food manufacturer in the sale of two plants.
- Representation of a direct marketing company in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a competitor.
- Representation of a health care provider in the sale of a majority interest to a private equity firm.
- Representation of a pharmacy benefits manager in a joint venture.
- Representation of a manufacturer in a corporate reorganization.
- Representation of corporations forming or maintaining employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs).
Education and Honors
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1978)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Illinois Law Forum (Editor)
- University of Michigan (A.B., with distinction, 1974)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. Tax Court, 1978
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member: Business, Health, and Taxation Sections; Director: Taxation Section, 1997–2003)
- American Bar Association (Member: Business Law, Health Law, and Taxation Sections)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Downtown Madison, Inc. (Board Member: 2001-Present)
- United Way of Dane County (Board Member: 1988–1994; Chairman of the Board: 1991)
- Madison Community Foundation (Board Member: 1993–2001)
- EVJUE Foundation (Board Member: 1999–2001)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2014 Madison Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1995–present: Corporate Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006–2008, 2010–2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Business/Corporate)
- Recipient, Individual Lawyer Award for Pro Bono Service, Dane County Bar Association, May 1, 2003