John Schaak is an associate in the Commercial Litigation Group. His practice is focused on real estate and construction related litigation, as well as providing advice and counsel on insurance coverage matters. John also has experience representing clients in matters involving business torts, franchise disputes, shareholder disputes, intellectual property disputes, product and services distribution, and UCC matters, among other things.
Some of Mr. Schaak’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of a commercial tenant in a matter where the landlord improperly terminated the tenant’s lease and seized control of leased premises. After prevailing on a motion for summary judgment, Mr. Schaak obtained an order directing the landlord to return the premises to his client.
- Representation of assisted living company in lawsuit against construction management firm arising out of multi-state, multi-facility renovation and expansion project.
- Representation of large manufacturer whose property had been encumbered by invalid construction liens. The lien claimants agreed to release their liens against the client’s property without consideration and without the need for the client to engage in formal litigation.
- Representation of developer in matter involving breach of agreement by partner to develop and sell commercial real estate.
- Representation of an insurance provider and its agents in litigation with the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance for the State of Wisconsin.
- Representation of a large pharmaceuticals manufacturer in litigation with former employees involving misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duties, and contract claims.
- Representation of shareholders in an action alleging oppression and breach of fiduciary duties and contractual obligations.
- Representation of a paper manufacturer in action alleging an employer intentional tort.
- Representation of various plaintiffs and defendants in matters involving disputes governed by the Sales Article of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
CALI Award for Legal Excellence in Trial Advocacy. Marquette University Law School Academic Scholarship (2001-2003). Marquette Moot Court Association (Chief Justice, 2002-2003). Listed in Who’s Who Among American Law Students.
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (B.S., cum laude, 1999)
Degree: Political Science and Criminal Justice. Pi Sigma Alpha. Alpha Phi Sigma (Chapter President, 1998-1999).
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2007
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2003
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2003
Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
–Rising Stars, 2008, 2009, and 2010 (Business Litigation).
Professional and Civic Activities
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (Volunteer).
- Wells Street Academy (Board of Directors).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Wisconsin State Bar Association (Member).
- Milwaukee County Bar Association (Member).
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member).
- Dane County Bar Association (Member).